Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   soooo frustrating (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/soooo-frustrating-t154794.html)

skothing 09-22-2011 02:48 PM

I can so relate. People ask me all the time for quilts or sewing favors. Would her husband be offended if someone ask him to something like a wedding or funeral for free. The Bible says a workman is worthy of his hire.

Wanabee Quiltin 09-22-2011 03:02 PM

I think you were right in what you said to her. It is important to be honest with people and let them know how much these quilted items cost. My good friend told me she wanted me to make her a beautiful queen size quilt and asked if it would cost more than $25 ? You can imagine how she felt when I told her to start at $100 and go from there. Stick to your guns !

katesnanna 09-22-2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow Bird
Tell her "Sure I will make it for $12 if you buy all the supplies to make it."

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY INTO PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE 'offended' actions! Doesn't matter what her 'station' in life is she should never get away with guilting people.

I agree 100%.

annpryor 09-22-2011 03:46 PM

Show her what is costs for you to make it in material etc.
It is not your fault she is offended so I wouldn't worry about it.
That is the trouble with quilting no one realizes how expensive it is.

jitkaau 09-22-2011 04:42 PM

Don't fall for the emotional blackmail trick - no matter where it comes from.After pointing out the cost of materials, any decent person would offer you a fair price for the article and your time.

Toni-in-Texas 09-22-2011 05:17 PM

Preachers' wives are just ordinary women. I feel that I can say that since I've been a preacher's wife since 1990. If this woman got out of sorts with you, it was her problem. Tell her to check around and she will find out what things like that cost. That's why I just don't sell what I make. Not many want to pay what it's worth.

MargeD 09-22-2011 05:20 PM

Absolutely do not give in. She obviously does not have a clue a to what costs go into making any quilted item, especially in today's market with fabric costs skyrocketing. Stand firm, she either doesn't have a clue or expects preferential treatment as a preacher's wife. You would not even recover the cost of your materials for $12.00, so let her go somewhere else.

sherriequilts 09-22-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
Take the pattern out, show her the fabric requirements and go on-line to show her the cost of the fabric. Go on a site like thousands of bolts and put all the necessary fabric in the "cart" and show her the total with shipping and tax. Don't forget thread and batting. When she sees that it can cost alot just for the materials, maybe she will understand.

Ditto for this suggestion. She would have a better understanding of the value of quilting. Perhaps she might like to learn how to quilt and be able to make her own. Happy quilting.

rosiewell 09-22-2011 05:42 PM

I would itemized the cost of fabric etc and the hours it would take I can she be offended after that?

Tinabug 09-22-2011 06:05 PM

This is a good thought. $12 might buy the thread. If she truly does not know the value and time, then this would be an education. However, if she gets in a huff, then you will have caught her in the act of trying to take advantage, and that's just not cool.

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
Take the pattern out, show her the fabric requirements and go on-line to show her the cost of the fabric. Go on a site like thousands of bolts and put all the necessary fabric in the "cart" and show her the total with shipping and tax. Don't forget thread and batting. When she sees that it can cost alot just for the materials, maybe she will understand.