Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sooooooo much waste.... need ideas (with pics) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sooooooo-much-waste-need-ideas-pics-t65483.html)

Nolee 09-21-2010 05:21 AM

I am using all my strips leftover from projects to make potholders. Or, you could sew them all together until you get the required 27" for a pillowcase, then add a compimentary border. It would be beautiful with those fabrics.

bkaren6020 09-21-2010 05:51 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. I have that pattern saved to try sometime. From the looks of you scraps, you might be able to make a log cabin quilt. Just an idea.
Karen

tobylehnj 09-21-2010 06:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have made many things from scraps. I sew together pieces of batting and then sew on scrap strip of fabric and bind and make baby bibs. I have even found a purse pattern made with small scraps. But I just took a class with Bonnie Hunter in Hershey, PA this summer and I am now making "Crumb" quilts with my scraps. Any size, any shape. Let me see if I can post a picture.

If this works, it is photo of the lettering I did along with some of the blocks. I guess the other photos are in the other computer. I do have to take photos of the quilts completed.

Emma S 09-21-2010 08:01 AM

Sarabelle: I think your idea of using the left overs in a border is great. Unless the quilt is for someone really using it for a lap quilt, bigger is usually better.

krlowe 09-21-2010 09:47 AM

How about a pillow to go with the quilt.

dorothymsmith 09-21-2010 10:03 AM

You have nice colors, I'd probably use them for applique flowers, maybe the magic vine. If you bought this as a kit, that is really a shame it was so over the top fabric wise.

Jamiestitcher62 09-21-2010 11:31 AM

Your quilting assistant looks like my Schmooey.

jigsymom 09-21-2010 01:16 PM

I am dealing with the same problem with a quilt as you go quilt. It called for one yard to a yard and a half of fabrics and then didn't tell me how much batting I needed. Plus the backing amounts were more than needed. Believe me I have lots left over. My friend is making the same quilt and using fat quarters and has plenty left over at that. None of the fabrics did I need a yard.

Nolee 09-21-2010 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by tobylehnj
I have made many things from scraps. I sew together pieces of batting and then sew on scrap strip of fabric and bind and make baby bibs. I have even found a purse pattern made with small scraps. But I just took a class with Bonnie Hunter in Hershey, PA this summer and I am now making "Crumb" quilts with my scraps. Any size, any shape. Let me see if I can post a picture.

If this works, it is photo of the lettering I did along with some of the blocks. I guess the other photos are in the other computer. I do have to take photos of the quilts completed.

I take a picture of everything I make and keep them in a small photo album. I have four daughters and someday they will see all the things I made. None of them sew or are the least bit interested in homemade things right now so it all goes elsewhere.

jojo47 09-22-2010 05:57 AM

I love the idea of putting one's quilting scraps in a bag and labeling said bag with sizes, etc. I have cut varying sizes of blocks and strips and put them in baggies...I also have leftover flannes from a Turning Twenty quilt waiting for me to play with and turn into a doll's quilt for my GD for a Christmas gift. Lots of terrific ideas in this thread!