Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sorry, Another batting question about cotton (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sorry-another-batting-question-about-cotton-t15469.html)

butterflywing 01-17-2009 10:31 AM

don't always want shrinkage after quilting, so what's the best way to go? any opinions?

BDor 01-17-2009 12:04 PM

I have only been quilting for a few years so not an expert on this but
the poly batting I used "bleed" and did not hold up well. I started using
warm & natural and love it. I always wash mine as I want everything I put in my quilt washed. Never had a bit of trouble with it. I do not hand quilt but the people I have had do my quilts loved it and the long arm quilter liked it too.

Zoo 01-17-2009 02:07 PM

Based on the suggestions here (thanks again!) I went out and got the Warm and Natural. I was pleasantly suprised at the cost, the 90" wide was 12.00/y, based on what a few people here have mentioned I thought it would be way more expensive.

I also took a look at 50/50 cotton bamboo batt, it felt so soft! Problem was the pre-washing instructions seemed a bit intense. You couldn't use a washing machine or dryer.
Zoo

HMK 01-17-2009 02:45 PM

I've used the bamboo batting and treated it the same as the Warm & Natural as far as pre soaking - put it in the washing machine, let the tub fill with hot water, turn it off, let it soak for about 30 - 60 mins. Then do a spin and then throw it in the dryer on regular heat and voila - it's wonderfully soft and ready to use. Not had any problems with it.

Zoo 01-17-2009 10:41 PM

Good to know HMK, maybe next quilt I'll get adventurous and try it!
Zoo

butterflywing 01-18-2009 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by HMK
I've used the bamboo batting and treated it the same as the Warm & Natural as far as pre soaking - put it in the washing machine, let the tub fill with hot water, turn it off, let it soak for about 30 - 60 mins. Then do a spin and then throw it in the dryer on regular heat and voila - it's wonderfully soft and ready to use. Not had any problems with it.

that's also what it says on their website. i'm waiting for a 50% coupon to try it myself. very eco-friendly, too. :P

Carol W 01-20-2009 04:11 PM

Great information.

Jim's Gem 01-20-2009 04:24 PM

I buy Warm & Natural by the whole roll and have never had a problem with thin spots or wrinkles. I do not pre - wash either. I love the look of the little bit of shrinkage I get when washing the quilt when done.

The comment about oily spots is an interesting one. I have had 1 quilt that I made 6 years ago that developed a couple spots on only 2 of the 26 different fabrics in it. The quilt was spray-basted, probably heavier than I now spray and with a different brand than I use now. It may be because of the basting spray, it may be because of the quality of the fabric, though it was a quilt shop quality fabric, it may be the cotton batting, or a combination of all 3. The spots look a little like it mildewed a little, though I guess it could also look oily. It is a quilt I made for my DD #2 and she has it at her home so I can look at it again right now. It took several years for the spots to show. It has been washed several times and after the spots appeared I even washed it with a little bleach. I have never had any others do that, and I have made over a hundred quilts using the Warm & natural product and spray baste.

I am curious what happened and why. My boss also spray basted one and I think used W & N but used cheaper fabrics and used a whole can on only 1 queen size and she had a bunch of spots appear after a couple years also. Now, she sprayed it with a ton of spray and it took her 3 years to quilt it, therefore it was not washed until the spray had been on it for 3 years!!!

butterflywing 01-20-2009 04:42 PM

can i buy warm and natural by the roll at 120"? i've never actually seen it.
has anyone out there seen it anywhere?

Jim's Gem 01-20-2009 04:44 PM

I'm not sure if you can get the 120", I have bought the king size bats in packages for the sizes larger that 90", I hate piecing batting!!!