Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sorting Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sorting-fabric-t289657.html)

alicemaryhergett 07-14-2017 04:30 PM

Sorting Fabric

Ok, so I just spent the last 2 days putting my fabric on the Comic book Boards. Got through 6 plastic bins only about 100 more to go. Any of you gals that have done this, I need to know what you did with smaller cuts, fat quarters and smaller. Right now I'm just putting them in a separate bin. I do plan to cut some into squares for future projects. got any ideas?
alicemaryhergett.

zozee 07-14-2017 04:58 PM

I put small scraps like that into clear plastic shoeboxes, by color. I will cut strings from 1.25-2.25 if there's just a small length leftover because I like to make string quilts. But I prefer to keep as large as possible because I don't know what I'll use it for and I don't want to limit myself. But if you know you use a lot of 5" squares, for example, it doesn't hurt to cut those to size if you won't waste much fabric doing it.

Chester the bunny 07-14-2017 05:40 PM

I put my larger pieces FQish in clear boxes like zozee, and also by color. Smaller pieces up to 7" get sorted by size, not color because if I have a pattern that calls 2.5" of blues, it's easier to look in the 2.5" and the 5" boxes and pick out the blues rather than going to a blue scrap box and measuring each piece that "looks" like it might be the right size.
No precutting! you never know what size you'll need. :o)

soccertxi 07-14-2017 08:13 PM

I am a Bonnie Hunter fan, so Scrap Users system for me! That being said, I am only about a month into cutting into predetermined sizes. I have quite a few bins to wade thru! Looking forward to some more organization...

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...rs-system.html

Cari-in-Oly 07-14-2017 08:53 PM

Here's how I do it - one to three yards goes on a comic board, larger than that goes on a regular fabric bolt. less than one yard but bigger than 1/4yd goes on half of a comic board(on it's own shelf). 1/4yds(linear or fat) get folded and put on their own shelf. Odd size pieces and scraps go in a couple big drawers, strings go in a bin, strips and left over bindings go in a drawer.

Cari

Murphy224 07-15-2017 02:47 AM

I wish I had an answer for you, when I put all my fabric on comic boards, I was very pleased with myself. Could see what I had and easily access it from the shelf instead of stacks or bins. But ran into the same questions as you plus some.
My biggest problem (and still is) what to do with all the fat quarters! Still looking for a good storage solution. For now they are in those big Artbin plastic containers on a shelf. I am just trying to use them up and I no longer buy fat quarters! If I like a fabric enough to buy it, I just buy a yard and be done with it. But basically I just quit buying fabric last year and now only buy absolutely what I need to finish a project.
Organizing scraps??? I did cut some of the smaller pieces into strips for string quilts and got them organized by color.
Hopefully someone will be able to provide an answer for us all.

sandy l 07-15-2017 03:24 AM

I think there's as many answers from us on how to do it as there are quilters here:)

Tartan 07-15-2017 05:11 AM

Anything over a yard goes on boards. Fat quarters are in their own drawer. Misc. under 1 yd stay in a storage bin and scraps go in my laundry hamper. I do not precut my scraps into specific sizes because I cut as I need them.

alicemaryhergett 07-15-2017 09:03 AM

Thank you for all your idea's. This is going to take a lot more time than I thought but now I have some idea's to move forward with.

dorismae904 07-15-2017 12:20 PM

What patterns do you like to make? I do like jelly rolls and have made many scrappy ones so of course, I cut a lot of my scraps into 2.5 inch strips, doesn't matter how short or long they are. I can also use those strips for my scrappy quilt binding or cut them narrower for my string quilts. Fat quarters can also be cut into 2.5 inch strips or different size squares. I usually cut six inch blocks from FQs to make the disappearing nine patch. People give me their scraps that they don't want to deal with and I usually cut them into 2.5 strips or different size blocks. Just make sure you start using them or you will have a whole different problem.