Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sorting/organizing scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sorting-organizing-scraps-t103293.html)

pvquilter 02-26-2011 12:59 PM

How does everyone organize their material scraps. I have been cutting a lot of mine into 2 1/2 inch strips, but I don't want to cut everything. Any suggestions would be helpful

SherriB 02-26-2011 01:02 PM

I just ordered an Accuquilt go. I am going to use the dies that comes with it with smaller scraps. Maybe I will finally use some of my scraps. The other size, I still remain clueless as to how to organize them.

pkary 02-26-2011 01:07 PM

I have a couple of the plastic packages (the zipper kind) that sheet sets came in. The little pieces just get stuffed into their bag, I iron them only when I want to use them. The larger pieces I fold neatly and put into another of these bags. You can see the scraps through the bag so you don't have to rumage for what you are looking for.

cmagee84 02-26-2011 01:12 PM

Great Question! Go to quiltville.com and click on the Scrap Users System and Bonnie Hunter will tell you an excellent way to deal with scraps. She has endless free patterns and tutorials also! Enjoy!

P.S. don't go on her site unless you have lots of time...it is addictive!! :)

Maura 02-26-2011 01:14 PM

I keep them in a sweater box. The very small pieces I keep together in a little box. I'm going to use them in a watercolor quilt some day. Having a plan made me decide on how small of a piece I will keep. I keep 2" pieces to about 6" pieces for the future watercolor. This also makes it easier for me when I need a small piece.

luvTooQuilt 02-26-2011 01:30 PM

I sort by the Size of the piece... I pretty much keep everything larger than 1in HST

crumbs- In see thru bottom drawer
Squares of - 2,3,4,5,6,plus all the half sizes - each in see thru drawers sorted only by size not by color
5in or less strips - in see thru drawers
6-10in strips - in see thru drawers
10 to WOF strips -In See thru drawers- these are separated by colors in drawers - 2 colors per drawer*
bins & baskets on cutting tables for scraps to be cut by accuquilt
Each of the accuquilt die cut shapes have their own clear shoe box(es)
Fat quarters in wall cd racks and large organizers/bookcase

anything larger than 12x12 but less than a fq is in tall kitchen trash can to be cut up with the larger Go dies..

Clear see-thru drawer to me means a medium and or large* sterilite 3 drawer rolling cart w/o the rollers on..

I use Bonnies method- www.Quiltville.com

Works the best for me..

Jan in VA 02-26-2011 04:56 PM

I started nearly 30 years ago with opaque shoe boxes that stack, marked for individual strips:
1", 1.25," 1.5," (useful in log cabins!)
1.75"
2"
2.5" (these are now in a much larger box)
3"
3"+ (larger box)

Then other boxes for:
4" squares by color (2-3 colors to the box)
3" squares and smaller
triangles (just the shape - usually cut from something else, leftovers)
small pieced squares (often leftovers)
4-patches and 9-patches
usuable pieces - odd shapes less than 1/8th yard
and I have three "sweater" boxes that stack which are full of larger useable pieces - usually less than 1/3 - 1/2 yard.

These all stack on industrial-looking bright chrome shelves and are easily accessible.
Fabric yardage is stacked by color, folded edge out, on shelves behind closed doors.

Jan in VA

gzuslivz 02-26-2011 05:00 PM

Well, I don't yet and that's part of the problem. My friend does something similar to Jan. She has several clear boxes for different sizes. You can choose the sizes you will use the most. Trim your scraps as you cut for your quilts.

Shelbie 02-26-2011 05:24 PM

I like to cut 2 1/2" and 4 1/2" strips and 2 1/2", 4 1/2", 6 1/2" and 8 1/2" squares because these are sizes that I can and do use for my scrap quilts. There's no point in me cutting 1 1/2" strips because it is just not a size that I am likely to use. You need to know what will be the most useful for you otherwise you might just as well leave them as uncut scraps to use at a later date or to pass on to another quilter.

pollyjvan9 02-26-2011 05:35 PM

I sort by color and store in see through tubs. I tend to save almost everything but when I start a scrap quilt I usually have color in mind then just start looking pieces that are large enough for one or more piece.