Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sorting small scraps...2 1/2" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sorting-small-scraps-2-1-2-a-t314176.html)

Julienm1 02-07-2021 08:56 AM

Sorting small scraps...2 1/2"

Reading blogs, looking at pics how quilters sort their small scraps. Seems they are cut down to usable sizes which makes sense. However, my 2 1/2 squares are getting out of control.
So how do you store your 2 1/2 size squares?
Just by size
or
Subsort by color?
I store the rest of my scraps by sze. Each size their own container not sorted by color.

costumegirl 02-07-2021 09:38 AM

Sorting out scraps really does help out later when setting up a quick project or when needing that particular size or color to fill in for variety. I sort my 2 1/2" squares according to size and color.

A friend suggested using boxes from Ikea that have cardboard partitions to keep the squares separated and organized. When I went to buy some they were sold out so I looked around and saw that the wine boxes at the grocery/liquor stores had cardboard partitions to protect the bottles during shipping that were about 3.5" square - I asked if I could have a bunch of the bottle inserts ( took the ones that were not too thick/heavy cardboard) and then bought rectangular plastic containers from the dollar store. Better price than Ikea :) I cut the partitions to fit the containers and now have my squares pressed & neatly stored. LOL I have a stack of boxes with squares sorted & ready close at hand.

sewingsuz 02-07-2021 09:39 AM

I sort my squares by size and then sort by plains and prints. I store mine in a square plactic donut container that comes from walmart.
I have scraps from cutting strips and squares left and decided to keep them in a medium size box to use for applique. Some other smaller than one inch strips , I toss out.
It is a big job and it gets so you don't want to look at those same fabrics ever again.

Homespun 02-07-2021 10:00 AM

I sort mine by size and when I get ready to do a project, then I sort them by color; simply because I am always adding to them.

juliasb 02-07-2021 10:24 AM

I store each size in small plastic baggies. When the baggie gets full I get another one going. When I had 8 I sorted by color. Of course some have more than others. This is an annual job for me to do in this kind of weather, bitter cold). I also sort for smaller size pieces for DWR pieces when I am thinking of making another one. I have Thousands of pieces cut for a future DWR now in all colors of the rainbow. I have a bin that goes under my bed to save all the scrap squares of every size until I need them for a project.

ppquilter 02-07-2021 11:23 AM

All great ideas! Love scraps!

Quiltwoman44 02-07-2021 11:24 AM

I made a huge quilt with those small squares but had left overs too. made them into stacks via color and style of print if necessary. cowboy went together, etc.

pocoellie 02-07-2021 01:32 PM

I use my 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 squares as leaders and enders, throw them in a drawer then when the drawer is full, I make a scrappy quilt, have made 4 of them so far. I don't try color coordinating or anything, just as long as they're not the same.

Julienm1 02-07-2021 01:54 PM

I would love to host a sorting party where I would invite you guys to come over and help me sort. Wine and whine available. Since we have to social distance I think I'll schedule 4-6 PM to sort and whine. Anyone want to join me? Who ever shows up can do what you want from 4-6. Do we need to start a new thread?

quiltingshorttimer 02-07-2021 05:11 PM

I saw a Pinterest where they used a clear plastic shoe back-of-door hanger and sorted by color for easy to see organization.

I don't cute down into 2.5 sq.---I keep sizes less that FQ and about 6" sq in a plastic drawer stack and stuff all strings into bags as I do more string quilts. I keep a white/lights, a black/gray/dark brown bag and the rest altogether. Wish I could figure a better way to sort is this is almost any size string.