Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   spacing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spacing-question-t205663.html)

Sarah in Brooklyn 11-11-2012 05:04 AM

spacing question

I've started quilting a baby quilt, and because I'm a rank amateur, I've decided to just to quilt random wavy lines along the length of the blanket. I think it will suit the pattern fine, but what I'm wondering about is if there's rule of thumb for how close sew the lines. Is 2-3" apart too much space between lines?

scrappingfaye58 11-11-2012 05:35 AM

I am sure others will come along, and have much better info than I do, but I think the real deciding factor is your batting. I THINK most batting packaging has the minimum quilting space info on there somewhere. As I understand it, if you don't quilt close enough for the batting you use, it MAY fall apart when washed. HTH... Faye

eparys 11-11-2012 06:08 AM

scrappingfaye58 is correct - look at the spec sheet for your batting. There should be guide lines for quilting on that. After you find that number - as long as you are no further apart than that - go for it.

AliKat 11-11-2012 06:58 AM

Yep, the batting determines the spacing. Remember that is also more of a circumferencial measure - width and height - and not a one dimensional measure.

ali

ckcowl 11-11-2012 07:16 AM

you need to read your batting package- some need to be quilted every 2" some allow up to 10" between quilting lines- and everything in between. also the distance needs to be in both directions- if you simply make *tunnels* the batting can separate-pull apart in there will be areas with none & areas with gobs- if the batting says quilt every 4" there should be a 4" square of quilting lines- closer is ok- wider is not good.
follow the recommendations on the packaging and you will do fine.

Sarah in Brooklyn 11-11-2012 08:49 AM

I'm using Warm and Natural. It says quilt up to 10" apart, so 2-3 should be ok, right? But you're all saying I should add lines across as well?

DogHouseMom 11-11-2012 09:02 AM

Sarah ... is this the quilt that we both made from the Oh Frassone blog??

yes to others ... the batting determines.

Yes the batting instructions are for circumference measurement, and generally if I am going to quilt linear only I will cut the minimum quilting recommendation in half.

If you are quilting 3" apart linear you should be find quilting in one direction only. You can even get by with 4" or 5" apart.

GrannieAnnie 11-11-2012 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn (Post 5649091)
I've started quilting a baby quilt, and because I'm a rank amateur, I've decided to just to quilt random wavy lines along the length of the blanket. I think it will suit the pattern fine, but what I'm wondering about is if there's rule of thumb for how close sew the lines. Is 2-3" apart too much space between lines?

Most batting recommends a minimum distance. I'd say up to 5" would work.

GrannieAnnie 11-11-2012 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn (Post 5649546)
I'm using Warm and Natural. It says quilt up to 10" apart, so 2-3 should be ok, right? But you're all saying I should add lines across as well?

Not necessarily. Stick you finger anywhere on the quilt and see how far to a quilting line.

Sarah in Brooklyn 11-11-2012 10:46 AM

Yes, that's the one! I made one set of lines where the columns join and figure I'll do 2 more between those lines.