Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Speaking of Paducah (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/speaking-paducah-t238983.html)

Petalpatsy 01-16-2014 01:48 PM

Speaking of Paducah

How is it that some workshops are already marked as "sold out" when registration hasn't begun? I must be missing something.

BellaBoo 01-16-2014 01:53 PM

I was told AQS members get first chance to sign up. I am a member and don't ever remember getting advanced notice of sign up.

tuckyquilter 01-16-2014 01:57 PM

Maybe the way to stop the special signup's is to STOP buying from those stores/Teachers, and letting them know. I personally think that a large show should have All classes open to ALL at the same time. But that's just me.

ghostrider 01-16-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Petalpatsy (Post 6516491)
How is it that some workshops are already marked as "sold out" when registration hasn't begun? I must be missing something.

Class registration opened to AQS members on January 9th. Early notification is one of the member benefits (I believe you have to check that box on your member profile, Bellaboo). It's an AQS show and if they want to pack the classes with AQS members, that's their privilege.

dunster 01-16-2014 03:17 PM

I get emails from AQS and I did get one on 1/9 stating that early registration was open for Paducah. Tuckyquilter - I think it's only fair that a show put on by AQS gives first registration privilege to those who are AQS members. Anyone can join AQS, and with membership you get their excellent magazine, which alone is worth the price.

Petalpatsy 01-17-2014 12:30 PM

See, I thought it must be something like that, and I agree it's a reasonable benefit of membership. They don't list it on their website with all the other 'benefits of membership' though, so I couldn't be sure. Heck, if you go to one show and take one class you've paid for the membership not to mention the magazine. I was a member one year, five years ago, but I'm not one now. I really should join since I'm a day drive from Paducah and now also Chattanooga. Oh ponder, ponder, ponder...

CookyIN 01-17-2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Petalpatsy (Post 6518214)
See, I thought it must be something like that, and I agree it's a reasonable benefit of membership. They don't list it on their website with all the other 'benefits of membership' though, so I couldn't be sure. Heck, if you go to one show and take one class you've paid for the membership not to mention the magazine. I was a member one year, five years ago, but I'm not one now. I really should join since I'm a day drive from Paducah and now also Chattanooga. Oh ponder, ponder, ponder...

Please spill, what happens in Chattanooga? I haven't heard of an event -- but then, I don't get out much!

Petalpatsy 01-17-2014 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CookyIN (Post 6518346)
Please spill, what happens in Chattanooga? I haven't heard of an event -- but then, I don't get out much!

Chattanooga gets it's own AQS quilt week this year, with the main show September 10-13. I've never spent a bunch of time in Chattanooga, so I don't know what kind of other quilty attraction they have in the town (like Paducah has The National Quilt Museum and Hancock's and Eleanor Burns.) I mostly just like the river view as I drive through going to Atlanta.

sewingsuz 01-17-2014 07:34 PM

I know this is a dumb question but what does AQS stand for? I am in Arizona and we belong to AZQS.

luvTooQuilt 01-17-2014 10:21 PM

Members get their perks...