Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Special baby quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/special-baby-quilt-t49642.html)

JCL in FL 06-15-2010 11:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
here area a couple I have made for babies. Congratulations, what fun you are going to have.

JCL in FL 06-15-2010 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And a few more

Pat and pups 06-15-2010 11:46 AM

Congratulations! Can a grandbaby have too many quilts? My great granddaughter is 2 1/2, and has a bunch of quilts. One with the alphabet appliqued on it. One has dolphins leaping (Javahousequilts.com). One has turtles on it. One is just pretty and feminine. I'm working on one with cars and trucks appliqued on it for her baby brother who is about a month old. I also made her some bibs, a diaper bag, a changing pad.

Will you find out the sex of the baby? That makes choosing fabric much easier, but you can make generic quilts until the birth and then do special ones.

I made a quilt for a friend's granddaughter and presented it at a shower. When mommy said something about tucking it away so nothing happened to it, I directed her to read the label which assured her that the quilt was to be used and could be washed if (when) it got dirty.

Carol in Colorado 06-15-2010 01:52 PM

Thank you all so much for your congrats, your ideas and your pictures. They are all so beautiful - now it will be even harder to decide. We'll find out the sex later on, but I will definitely start with a couple of generic ones because I just can't wait!!! I'll post pics as I go along.

pennyswings 06-15-2010 03:24 PM

Congratulations!!! Grandchildren are so much fun, you can spoil them and not pay the consequences, you can play with them and then go home and best of all you can love them to your hearts content. Why? Because that is why God made Grandmas, LOL.

MarthaVA 06-15-2010 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Carol in Colorado
I just found out last week we are expecting our first grandchild!!!!! Now I'm agonizing over what kind of quilt to make. I know I want to make an I Spy quilt, but I want to make something warm and cuddly (and cute) too. What are your favorites that you've made? Can't wait to hear your ideas!

Congrats! I found out on Mothers Day that we will be first time grandparents also. Oh gosh, I just cannot get used to that phrase....me, a grandma, granny, nana.........maybe I'll ask to be called GrandMartha. Ha ha.

Quilting D 06-15-2010 06:15 PM

This is a great thread! Lots of wonderful ideas. I'm in the same boat with you Carol and Martha. Just found out Sunday I'm going to be a first time grandma! I can hardly wait!

craftybear 06-16-2010 02:53 PM

Congratulations on becoming a Grandma! Have fun making lots of baby quilts

katyquilter 06-16-2010 02:55 PM

I love making small quilts.

sahm4605 06-16-2010 03:12 PM

As a second time mommy, I would make a very simple quilt with triangles and a ruffle boarder that is very simple and not overly quilted. Just kinds tacked down in the corners of the triangles. A wonderful lady at church made one for my dd when she was born and i made one just like it but with squares (couldn't get the triangle yet)for my ds. Both my kids use them every night. I have a quilt for each of them that are fancy that my hubbys step-granny made for them that I just can't bring my self to use because they are two pretty. I use them as wall hangings in their room. I would go very very very simple on them. That way mommy doesn't feel awful when they eurp up and yuck up on them. Which depending on the kid can be quite often. Congrats by the way. you are going to be beside yourself when you see the baby, hope that they like close so that you can see them everyday.