Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Special quilting thread for "lefties"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/special-quilting-thread-lefties-t188023.html)

Peckish 05-04-2012 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5192839)
I can't see that thread wound differently on the spool or woven differently would benefit left handed quilters. There is a way you are supposed to take it off the spool for right handed quilting so the the thread twists less, BUT for left handed quilters....they could just use the other end of the thread to put through the needle eye.:)

This is exactly what I was going to say. I think either someone sent that LQS owner on a big ol' snipe hunt, or it's a clever marketing strategy for the small segment of the population that is both left-handed and gullible.

Kitsie 05-04-2012 07:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've never understood this thread twist thing. When I take something with a twist - say a licorice stick no matter which end is "up" the twist is the same! I always heard you are supposed to thread with the end that first comes of the spool and now many say that you cut off a length and put the just cut end through the needle! *sigh* I've never had trouble either way. :rolleyes: Like the pictures - one way the twist goes upper left to bottom right, reverse it - the same.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]332781[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332782[/ATTACH]

virtualbernie 05-04-2012 12:19 PM

Well, I got my giggle for the day! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

franc36 05-04-2012 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5193101)
If I owned a store I'd put a special display of thread that wasn't selling fast and label it for left handed quilters. The ones that got the humor would love it, the others would buy it.

Hey, I love that idea. I'm a leftie but use right handed scissors. I do use left handed rotary cutters. I'd laugh at left handed thread.

Sandra in Minnesota 05-04-2012 12:38 PM

I'm a lefty - that left handed sewing machine sounds like a great idea.

BellaBoo 05-04-2012 02:33 PM

The good quality brand thread made now does not have the twist in it.

yngldy 05-04-2012 05:23 PM

I hand applique and have found that if you put your needle on the thread, knot that end and then unwind and cut the other end, for me, the thread does not twist and knot while sewing. But if I thread needle first, then unwind and knot the cut end, I have a twisted mess as I sew, even if I use thread heaven. Think it is how I use the needle. Must twist it as I run it thru the fabric.

LynnVT 05-04-2012 05:29 PM

Was it April 1st when they went there?

jaciqltznok 05-04-2012 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mom3 (Post 5192660)
I'm sitting here trying not to fall off my chair.... LOL

First of all, there is no such thing.

Second of all I think your sister should find a different LQS to shop.

There is NOTHING special about a lefty sewing anything - other than 'we' do it left handed. Sure there are lefty sissors but EVERYTHING else is the same for a lefty as it is for a righty. All the tools are the same (other than possibly sissors) and we may lay out / cut our fabric from a different angle but the end result is still the same.

What your sister's LQS said is, in my mind, equivalent to saying a lefty needs a left handed iron. Pooh! An iron is an iron. Thread is thread.

Tell your sister to find another place to shop.

LOL

Shari

oh my....of course SHE did not carry it, though she has several people who could sure use it..ehehhehe
honestly...even my left handed sister laughed at that one! She uses scissors and her rotary right handed though...

Cindy60545 05-06-2012 03:04 AM

I, too, am still laughing! I'm a lefty & other than cutting from a different angle, there's no difference. The projects still come out the same.