Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Special type of batting for a baby quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/special-type-batting-baby-quilt-t190933.html)

Jan in VA 06-06-2012 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc (Post 5268977)
I've been using wool batting on all of the baby quilts that I've been doing. I don't do any thing special to it in terms of washing. I wash it like any other quilt. In fact, right now my son is using a quilt with a wool batting. He is 3 and while he uses the toilet 100% of the time during the day, he still has accidents at night and sometimes during nap time. So that quilt is washed A LOT. I've had no shrinking, bearding or any other problems with the wool.

I like wool batting for many reasons but one big benefit is that the burn resistance is superior to any of the other batting materials. I do not like the idea of using anything with fire retardant chemicals on anything that a baby uses. I just don't believe the chemicals are safe for anyone let alone developing babies. I wash all of the children's bedding and pajamas with the strongest regular detergent that I have to remove as much of those chemicals as possible.

Also, wool breathes better and helps to regulate the temperature nicely and is lightweight. I know that some people may bring up the issue of wool allergies but that is not usually an issue with high quality commerically prepared battings. People that react to wool are primarily reacting to lanolin left in the wool or the chemicals that are used in the processing of the wool.

Also, with the wool batting, it has a nice loft when quilted yet remains light and fluffy. I use Hobbs wool and Dream wool. I like them both.

A SO agree with this post.:thumbup:
I, too, LOVE wool batting, even though it is expensive, because of the loft, the ease of quilting, the washability, and the fact that it IS NOT HOT!! That was a delightful surprise! Here it is June 6th (summer time) in Virginia and I slept under mine last night with no wake-up sweatiness. Yet in the winter, in this drafty 200 year old cottage, it serves me equally well. Amazing stuff, this wool batting from Hobbs. I'm also going to try Quilters Dream Wool.

Jan in VA

Silver Needle 06-06-2012 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5269070)
Quilter's Dream Poly is one I have seen frequently recommended for children's quilts. It is light in weight, holds up well, and dries faster than cotton.

My favorite is an oldie -- Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton -- but it is thinner than what you want. My oldest baby quilt was made with that batting and, after numerous washings, much use, a weathered binding, faded fabrics, etc. it is still treasured by its owner. What I especially like about it is that the batting got softer with every washing; after 10 years, it felt like a cloud!

I would not want to use a flame-retardent batting in baby quilts because of the added chemicals in the fabric. With all the chemicals already in our environment, I don't see it as a good idea to have a young child in close contact (and probably breathing in) additional chemicals from a batting. Flames are more of a problem with single layer fabrics such as nightgowns and drapes where air can reach both sides of the fabric to feed the fire. If you have ever seen a movie where a flame touches the bottom of a flimsy curtain, that demonstrates the danger. In a child's nightgown that brushes against an open flame, the resulting burst of fire will engulf the child, including face and hair, before anyone has a chance to move to put the fire out. A quilt, in contrast, is thick and will tend to smolder for a long time (and not burst into flame) because less air is reaching the combustible materials; this gives time to move the quilt away from the person. Cotton burns to ash, whereas polyester melts and forms sticky beads that are difficult to get off the skin and can cause 3rd degree burns. Not sure if this makes a practical difference in a quilt, since the batting is enclosed in fabric.

People have different preferences for batting. My favorite batting remains the MM Blue Ribbon, but I often use Hobbs 80/20 instead -- especially when I want a little more loft.

I respectfully request you read the article and research the content of the Dream Angel batting. There are no "added" chemicals in the fiber. It is made of fibers that will not melt or flow when exposed to flame and are inherently flame retardant. If one prefers "natural" fibers that's one thing. But if I am going to use manmade anyway I will choose Dream Angel.

Just Me... 06-07-2012 01:29 AM

I would either use the Quilter's Dream Puff or the Quilter's Dream Angel. Dream Puff is a poly that can be washed to death. Dream Angel is flame-retardant.

Just Me... 06-07-2012 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5270513)
I respectfully request you read the article and research the content of the Dream Angel batting. There are no "added" chemicals in the fiber. It is made of fibers that will not melt or flow when exposed to flame and are inherently flame retardant. If one prefers "natural" fibers that's one thing. But if I am going to use manmade anyway I will choose Dream Angel.

I wholeheartedly agree. There are no chemicals. You can e-mail Quilters Dream Batting in Virginia Beach, Virginia for verification. They will promptly respond....

teddysmom 06-07-2012 03:01 AM

I use Hobbs 80/20 on all my quilts but just learned on this board about Quilters Dream. I'm going to buy some and use it on my next quilt.

majormom 06-07-2012 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc (Post 5268977)
I've been using wool batting on all of the baby quilts that I've been doing. I don't do any thing special to it in terms of washing. I wash it like any other quilt. In fact, right now my son is using a quilt with a wool batting. He is 3 and while he uses the toilet 100% of the time during the day, he still has accidents at night and sometimes during nap time. So that quilt is washed A LOT. I've had no shrinking, bearding or any other problems with the wool.

I like wool batting for many reasons but one big benefit is that the burn resistance is superior to any of the other batting materials. I do not like the idea of using anything with fire retardant chemicals on anything that a baby uses. I just don't believe the chemicals are safe for anyone let alone developing babies. I wash all of the children's bedding and pajamas with the strongest regular detergent that I have to remove as much of those chemicals as possible.

Also, wool breathes better and helps to regulate the temperature nicely and is lightweight. I know that some people may bring up the issue of wool allergies but that is not usually an issue with high quality commerically prepared battings. People that react to wool are primarily reacting to lanolin left in the wool or the chemicals that are used in the processing of the wool.

Also, with the wool batting, it has a nice loft when quilted yet remains light and fluffy. I use Hobbs wool and Dream wool. I like them both.

I like to use wool also, and I read somewhere that the wool that is used for batting has been processed and washed so many times that it has been already shrunk and will shrink less that cotton batting. Would someone with allergy to the wool batting be bothered if the batting totally covered by the cotton of the quilt? Just wondering - I'm not allergic to anything.......but work I guess :-)

AFQSinc 06-07-2012 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by majormom (Post 5271390)
I like to use wool also, and I read somewhere that the wool that is used for batting has been processed and washed so many times that it has been already shrunk and will shrink less that cotton batting. Would someone with allergy to the wool batting be bothered if the batting totally covered by the cotton of the quilt? Just wondering - I'm not allergic to anything.......but work I guess :-)

The majority of wool allergies come from either lanolin that has been left in the wool or the chemical residue from the processing of the wool. I would say that most people would not be bothered by a quilt that contained a high quality wool batting.

Prism99 06-07-2012 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5270513)

I went ahead and read the article, then looked up Dream Angel on the QD website. It's true that they don't add chemicals. However, I still have problems with the recommendation to use this batting for children's quilts.

For one thing, the burn tests in the article are all on battings; how a batting burns by itself and how it burns inside a quilt could be very different. The author is clearly not a scientist because she makes many unsupported assumptions. Her interview with the burn nurse is moving on an emotional level, but lacks support for her conclusion that using polyester batting in a quilt is dangerous. If the burn nurse had seen or read about even one actual case, it really should have been cited as an example of what could actually happen.

For another, I have to wonder how many children are burned by quilts. Is this even a problem?

The final difficulty I have regards the lack of specific information available about the Dream Angel batting. What are the fibers made of? If chemicals are not added to the batting, then I have to surmise that chemicals are used in the manufacture of the fiber to make it permanently flame retardant. I would want to know at least vaguely what chemicals these are; the description only offers that one chemical is not used. I Googled New Draft Cal 604, which would provide some additional basic information about what is and is not used in the batting, but I could not find it online.

This whole thing seems like a paper tiger to me. If I were convinced this is even an issue in quilts, then I would look at Angel Dream batting more closely. I do have to wonder why the manufacturer doesn't bother to say what the fibers are made of. My guess is that it is polyester imbued with chemicals other than those historically used in children's clothing. That may or may not make the batting safe from a chemical standpoint. Without an understanding of what the fiber actually is, it's impossible to assess it accurately. It may be safer than regular polyester from a burn standpoint, but riskier from a chemical standpoint.

GrannieAnnie 06-07-2012 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by berrypatch (Post 5268303)
Hi, would like some input on what type of batting to use for a baby quilt. I know it will probably be washed more often than other quilts & would prefer a "fluffier type" compared to warm and natural. Appreciate all opinions ~ thanks !

Use what you are comfortable with.

Suze9395 06-10-2012 07:28 PM

I am not an expert on batting. I use W&N for just about everything. Sample exception, when there is a lot of white in the quilt and then I use W&W!

So. What about the antibacterial properties of bamboo? Someone mentioned accidents. Wouldn't the antibacterial properties be desirable?