Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Specialty presser feet - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/specialty-presser-feet-t255316.html)

bearisgray 10-15-2014 07:23 AM

Specialty presser feet -

How many of them do any of you actually use?

In my case, I could probably get by with my "basic zig-zag foot" that came with the machine, the darning foot, the button foot, and a zipper foot.

I do have a 1/4 inch foot - it does not do "that much" for me.

There are a bunch of others that I don't even know what they are called and/or what they are for, much less how to use them.

QuiltnNan 10-15-2014 08:09 AM

i mostly only use 2... the zig zag and the 1/4' foot. i just put in 3 zippers in coin purses this morning and didn't even change to the zipper foot. i think, though, if i were ever to couch something, i'd definitely use that foot.

Tartan 10-15-2014 08:25 AM

I regularly use my 1/4 foot for piecing, my open toe foot for appliqué and buttonhole/fancy stitching so I can see what I'm doing, my darning foot for FMQ, my zipper for for zippers and my regular large hole multi purpose foot for zig zag stitching.

romanojg 10-15-2014 08:56 AM

I use the zig zag, 1/4 in, teflon, zipper, pin tuck, interchangeable walking foot, binding, elastic, and others that I can't remember here at work

susie-susie-susie 10-15-2014 09:02 AM

I use my 1/4" foot most of all. Once in awhile I use the zig zag foot, but rarely. I never use the other feet that came with my machine. I will use the walking foot as soon as I figure it out.
Sue

ManiacQuilter2 10-15-2014 09:26 AM

I couldn't live without my 1/4" foot and my walking foot for my Bernina. I have an clear foot applique and a large darning foo for FMQ. I have NEVER sewn a zipper with my Bernina maybe since the 80s??

Terri D. 10-15-2014 11:11 AM

Love my #13 Bernina foot as well as the open toe and darning feet.

PaperPrincess 10-15-2014 11:49 AM

I use my 1/4" foot with a flange, a 'regular' presser foot, a zipper foot and my walking foot on a regular basis. I have 6 or 8 specialty feet for pin tucking, shirring and attaching embellishments that I use a couple times a year to make wildly fun fabric for bags. I love playing with my feet!

Neesie 10-15-2014 11:56 AM

I use several but have no idea what most of them are called. I just choose them by sight, according to what I'm sewing. Oh, one is called a walking foot. At least I know the proper name of that one. :D

HomekeepingGran 10-15-2014 12:36 PM

Besides the zig zag and zipper foot (and walking foot, of course) I also own a piping foot which I find very helpful, and at a foot for narrow hems, which work great. Recently I used the overcast foot and loved how nice it makes an overcast edge. I have a cording foot and I think I used it once. Also, there is a foot specifically for sewing on buttons which is helpful, gripping the button instead of sliding off of it. And there is a free motion foot, which is something I need to practice.