Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   spending the day with Bessie, my unsewer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spending-day-bessie-my-unsewer-t65564.html)

wildyard 09-19-2010 07:29 AM

Arghhhhhhh, I'm so frustrated, I tried my hand at quilting my wallhanging, the 50th anniversary one. First I tried using the cover plate for the feeddogs. That made the fabric high and so tight to the foot that I couldn't move the material around. I couldn't find how to change the pressure on the foot in the book, so I took the plate off, and tried it just sewing. What a mess I made. The stitches are all different lengths and it just looks awful. The back actually looks better than the front, LOL.
So today I'm going to be unsewing. Then I guess I'll try some hand quilting, even if it kills my neck and shoulder. I don't really have any other option that I can think of.
I am asking Santa for a new machine for Christmas!!!!

bkb 09-19-2010 07:40 AM

You may be a able to get a "new" used machine at the Quilt Police auction. They sell things gathered in a quilt police bust just like regular police do but this is only stuff related to quilting and you know how many quilting addicts there are! Should be a good sale! {my attempt at brightening your day.}

ktbb 09-19-2010 07:52 AM

sounds like you need a darning foot if you're doing free motion and if one is available for your machine..lots of generics out there. I personally love one called the "Big Foot". The variance in stitch length will correct itself with practice - so don't give up on machine quilting yet. Don't forget to make sure Santa has all your requirements for your machine or else you'll not get what you want.

Originally Posted by wildyard
Arghhhhhhh, ... First I tried using the cover plate for the feeddogs. That made the fabric high and so tight to the foot that I couldn't move the material around. I couldn't find how to change the pressure on the foot in the book, so I took the plate off, and tried it just sewing.

Tink's Mom 09-19-2010 08:08 AM

What foot are you using??? I think you may be trying to do this using your regular stitching foot...
You must use a darning/quilting foot in order to have enough room to manuvear (sp?) the fabric sandwich.
Don't worry about the unsewing...we've all been there... :-D

littlehud 09-19-2010 09:01 AM

So sorry. Unsewing is never any fun.

debbieumphress 09-19-2010 09:14 AM

I am soooooo glad my machines all have a feed dog drop. I have heard some quilters will put something over the top. Hope you figure it out and let us know. Have a wonderful "unsewing" day.

CarrieAnne 09-19-2010 09:36 AM

Hugs!

Mariposa 09-19-2010 09:51 AM

Sorry about all the unsewing. Please try the Big Foot for machine quilting-it is great! And do tape something thin over the feed dogs. :)

amma 09-19-2010 12:54 PM

So sorry that you are having such a hard time with FMQ. Are you using a darning/quilting foot?

wildyard 09-19-2010 04:44 PM

I don't have any of those special feet for my machine, I'm thinking I'll have to find one before I try that again.