Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   spiral eye needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spiral-eye-needles-t137735.html)

whinnytoo 07-15-2011 07:26 AM

I did contact her, got a very quick response and she will replace the needle. Thanks again for the suggestion. You are all the best.

Peckish 07-15-2011 07:29 AM

I love them. I wish they were available in sharps, though.

Pat M 07-15-2011 08:20 AM

Tried to use them for counted cross stitch - great for easy threading but the end of the needle would get caught on the material and threads. haven't tried them for hand sewing. I do love the concept - so easy to thread but the catching other threads became frustrating so I went back to my regular embroidery needle

grammy17 07-15-2011 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I searched high and low for them a few weeks ago and could not find the spiral eye. The only "cheater" needle I could find was the one with the slit at the top that you "pop" the thread through. I also picked up a curved needle. Both are for basting, I'll try them both soon and see which I like better.

I have the ones with the slit in the top that I've had for 45 years. Use them to bury threads not for sewing--maybe that is why I've had them so long.

rivka 07-15-2011 08:25 AM

I use them as well for burying threads, not for actual sewing. Makes burying the thread a lot easier!

kathy 07-15-2011 09:56 AM

sue, i have some of those with the split in the top, probably 8 out of 10 times i can't get the thread buried before it pops back out, i haven't got around to the spiral eyes yet

krabadan 07-15-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
I have them and love the ease of threading them as my vision is poor. Honestly, however, I have to say that the needle is not sharp and slim at the point to allow the needle to slide through the fabric easily. Also, it does come unthreaded while pulling it through the fabric. It's a great needle for burying threads, but not a good sewing needle. I'm a bit disappointed, but still use them due to the ease of threading them.

Ditto

fireworkslover 07-16-2011 03:50 AM

I started out using the ones with a slit in the top, but found the thread to pull out when I was trying to bury a knot, so switched to the spiral style needle, which works much better for me. I couldn't find them locally tho. I picked up a multi-sized pack at a quilt show. This is the only needle I use now for burying knots.

sewmom 07-16-2011 04:43 AM

I bought a package of them after I heard about them on this board. The inventor of the spiral eye needle is a member here. I found mine in the need craft section at Hobby Lobby. Used them for burying threads and I really like them.

sapdoggie 07-16-2011 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom
I bought a package of them after I heard about them on this board. The inventor of the spiral eye needle is a member here. I found mine in the need craft section at Hobby Lobby. Used them for burying threads and I really like them.

They are hanging above the embroidery floss at hobby Lobby.