Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   spiral table runner? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spiral-table-runner-t67010.html)

peaceandjoy 09-27-2010 07:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The 9 degree wedge on e-bay is not long enough - you need the 25" one. I originally purchased the 14" one (LQS actually ordered the wrong ones for class). I asked the instructor if we could at least use the shorter one to get the angle, then use a regular acrylic ruler to extend the angle. Unfortunately, the cutting is really the trickiest part by far, and I'm glad she said she didn't think it would work well.

I ended up keeping the smaller ruler for final cuts, and ordered the longer one for initial cuts.

You make 25 cuts from 2 strata sets, ranging from 21 3/4" to 3 3/4" (remember to take that 3" off as the ruler is not really 25" long).

When cutting from the first and second strata, DO NOT cut from end to end. At the narrow end of the wedge, go across the end of the wedge. The scrap fabric must be kept intact so that you can make the final cuts from those remainders.

Attached are pics from my top (before trimming to a smooth edge, sandwiching & quilting).

Sadiemae 09-27-2010 07:22 AM

I have sample strip sets ready, I am just waiting for the ruler.

I did order my ruler from ebay because of the $2 shipping, but I ordered the longer ruler.

judylg 09-27-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by WANNABEE
Thank you Peaceandjoy.

It looks like a very nice piece and a class for such an item is probably a good thing, classes are good as they help me through parts that I would have had a tough time trying to figure out!

Ok Darla 09-27-2010 12:36 PM

I love this, just don't quiet get how you do it. I get the strips part and the cutting with the ruler but I am stuck from there.

peaceandjoy 09-27-2010 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ok Darla
I love this, just don't quiet get how you do it. I get the strips part and the cutting with the ruler but I am stuck from there.

Darla, have you started one? The pattern really is pretty good, except it doesn't tell you to keep your strata scraps together for cutting additional strips from.

If you've started and are having troubles, let me know and I'll try to help.

Once you get the stratas sewn together, and the wedges cut, you start sewing from smallest to the largest of each strata. That gives you the two halves, which you then sew together.

It's very cool!

Ok Darla 09-27-2010 01:07 PM

I haven't started yet because I didn't have the pattern, and I don't want to waste a lot of fabric if I can't do it.
Thanks for your tips though - I appreciate it.

peaceandjoy 09-27-2010 01:17 PM

Not too much fabric - 8 fats. We've all got that in the stash, lol. It was the ruler(s) that killed me. I made the most expensive table runner ever. However, I know that I will do more, and have since looked into other patterns that use the ruler. Just have to get a few other things finished before I start yet another!

I wish we had a "lending library" for all of these tools. This summer, I bought the 2 wedge rulers, a 60 degree one for upcoming OBW class our guild is doing, and Wing Clipper. Total, almost $65 on some pieces of plastic!

bearlea 09-27-2010 02:00 PM

I know this thread is about the spiral tablerunner but peaceandjoy...you will love both of the rulers you bought..I do..I am hoping to start making a circle quilt with the a ruler I bought along with books...looks easy enough..blessings

BellaBoo 09-27-2010 02:10 PM

Make you own wedge ruler. Cut a large circle from poster board and cut a 9º or 10º wedges from it. Cut each paper wedge the length you need for each cut from the strip set.

mequilter 10-11-2010 01:22 PM

I've been looking for this pattern & ruler locally and haven't been able to find it. The link that was posted to the Calla Lily shop in Minnesota worked & they're sending it in the mail tomorrow! I can't wait to make these up for Christmas presents!