Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Split Nine Patch Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/split-nine-patch-quilt-t226490.html)

Caswews 07-27-2013 09:26 AM

Amazing how something old is something new (quilting, crochet,sewing,crafts)... Beautiful quilts!

mjhaess 07-28-2013 11:53 AM

Veery pretty quilt..

GrannieAnnie 07-28-2013 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SSK (Post 6195392)
She probably designed the new and easier way of making it, not the pattern.

There are probably 10-12 ways to put that quilt together as it is. Can I own it if I do it differently? Each of you might as well claim it, too!

GrannieAnnie 07-28-2013 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by hevemi (Post 6195799)

BUT BUT BUT. The first pic does not have a split 9 patch in it. Ther are only 8 HST per block in the first quilt pic, and for that matter in the other pics shown. And those triangle squares are 2 per side.

soccertxi 07-28-2013 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 1st picture DOES have a split nine patch...there is just another border before the last borders of just neutral blocks. They give the impression of a bigger block...

GrannieAnnie 07-29-2013 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi (Post 6202086)
The 1st picture DOES have a split nine patch...there is just another border before the last borders of just neutral blocks. They give the impression of a bigger block...

I guess you could make this quilt with a split 9 patch, but you'd have to be very diligent matching that pink triangle from a print piece and a pink triangle from a white piece. I guess the other half of each was discarded since I only see the one pink outside square.

WMUTeach 07-30-2013 01:47 PM

Thank you, eparys, for the illustration of the ninepatch with the the half-square triangles. I can easily make this with just your little illustration. I can hardly wait for my pile of scraps to just turn themselves into squares so I can make this quilt. Tee-Hee!

Janice McC 07-31-2013 11:51 AM

Well, whatever this is called or however a person chooses to make it, I've just found the quilt I'm going to make with my 2.5 inch squares! I think I'll use the QC "split 9 patch" directions as those blocks will work up quickly and will allow a great deal of variability. Thanks for sharing all those pix and directions. Very informative! Beautiful quilts btw!

lynn_z 07-31-2013 12:17 PM

Can of Worms?

I never heard of that book but I have heard and said that very often! I just realized that is what I have been doing all these years! Starting a quilt I am sorry about later...just like opening a can of worms. Now at least I know what to call it or, more accurately, them!

Originally Posted by eparys (Post 6195216)
I do not believe that these blocks are sewn and then cut - it is similar to this quilt we made from the book Open a Can of Worms by Debbie Caffery.

That being said it looks to me that the block is assembled as in the second image.

bearisgray 11-12-2018 06:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If I was going to do this, this is how I would do it:

The lower drawings were my first attempt at it - because I saw it as a 4x4 block with "sashings" -

The tops drawings are how I probably would assemble it after looking at it more carefully.

There is usually more than one way to assemble a block or a quilt top!