Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   splitting fingernails and cuticles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/splitting-fingernails-cuticles-t81931.html)

mim 12-10-2010 12:42 PM

I do a lot of hand quilting in cooler weather and my nails are splitting again. I don't mean the ridges on the nails -- my doc told me yars ago that it meant getting older. I was not amused.

My nails split in layers which means that I have to keep them really short. Does anyone have any ideas -- I use hand lotions, etc. Perhaps there is one I haven't tried.

I found one in NZ that worked but haven't been able to find any here in the US

Thanks -- Mim

oatw13 12-10-2010 12:50 PM

If your nails are splitting in layers, it sounds more like they aren't healthy to start with. Talk with your doctor. Maybe you aren't getting enough calcium? Please don't start taking calcium without talking to a doctor because most people need less as they age. You could be deficient in other nutrients, as well.

They sell nail strengtheners that you apply like a clear nail polish that help. They are found at most drugstores with the nail polish.

In the meantime, slather them with lotion every time you walk by a bottle. It can't hurt.

ssgramma 12-10-2010 12:55 PM

Maybe a good cuticule cream or oil would help. I have bad cuticles and always use a drop of almond oil on them at night before the bedtime hand cream. You could prob use olive oil too.

grammiepamie 12-10-2010 12:57 PM

Ypur nail are keratin. The condition of yur nails will tell a doctor the condition of your health. My Doctor told me to buff my nails 3 times a day. I bought a revlon nail buffer and carried in my bag. I buffed and buffed for a long time. I was a nailbiter years ago. Now I can use my thumb nails as a screw driver. Buff-buff-buff ladies.The action brings blood to your nailbeds and feeds them.

carhop 12-10-2010 01:06 PM

i had soft nails and was told to soak them in salt water for 10 min a day i also use my thumb nails for screwdrivers etc

BellaBoo 12-10-2010 01:12 PM

Have you had your thyroid checked? My thyroid was always in the normal range but I found out it wasn't normal for me. It took a good Dr. to figure out I needed to take Synthroid to see if that helped my cold feet, cold hands, thinning hair, dry skin, always tired, weight gain, and general feeling not so great but not sick. My nails started to grow and be strong. It won't hurt to find out if your thyroid is in the low normal range. Ask your Dr. Most Drs. are now aware that 9 out of 10 women have thyroid issues.

CircleSquare 12-10-2010 01:23 PM

You also probably need to drink more water. . . 6-8 glasses per day. Dehydration can cause damage to nails, hair, and our entire body.

bjchad 12-10-2010 01:29 PM

You could also try adding protein to your diet. Gelatin is a good source of protein and Knox makes a gelatin drink mix, or used to, that would help with nails. And also hair.

EasyPeezy 12-10-2010 01:51 PM

What BellaBoo said. Have your thyroid checked.

In the meantime try Sally Hansen Vitamin E Moisturizing Nail & Cuticle Oil. Massage your nails well just before going to bed.

SuziC 12-10-2010 02:01 PM

What great info on this subject....thanks ladies!