Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray basting....how long.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-basting-how-long-t274548.html)

QuiltnLady1 01-17-2016 09:30 PM

I like 505 and have used it for years, but have started using Elmer's glue and glue sticks (by the way -- make sure you get washable school glue -- I ordered some glue sticks from Amazon and though I ordered washable I was sent permanent). I like getting the Elmer's at the beginning of the school year from Walmart or Target when they have the big sales and only order from Amazon in a pinch.

justflyingin 01-18-2016 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7436705)
Well, I'm up to my...um...bum, in snow, so I won't be doing much of anything outside, but thanks for the tip! I thought I would do it in the garage with the door open.

Watson

I do mine inside all the time. Don't fret. Just spray carefully and don't overspray. It is true, however, that my dining room (which I use) is one big open room with the living room and kitchen, so there is a lot of room for the fumes to dissipate.

justflyingin 01-18-2016 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 (Post 7436976)
I like 505 and have used it for years, but have started using Elmer's glue and glue sticks (by the way -- make sure you get washable school glue -- I ordered some glue sticks from Amazon and though I ordered washable I was sent permanent). I like getting the Elmer's at the beginning of the school year from Walmart or Target when they have the big sales and only order from Amazon in a pinch.

If I lived in the states and had access to HL's sales and cpns bringing cotton batting prices down to reasonable, I'd use your Elmer's Glue method all the time when I use that batting! (Why doesn't everyone?)

However, I live overseas and have to use poly batting as cotton battings are not feasible cost wise (yet). So, I use spray glue as it really helps keep that poly from shifting.

Jeanne S 01-18-2016 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7436705)
Well, I'm up to my...um...bum, in snow, so I won't be doing much of anything outside, but thanks for the tip! I thought I would do it in the garage with the door open.

Watson

i spray in my house and don't find it messy or stinky. But I do spray lightly.

Daylesewblessed 01-18-2016 08:47 AM

We have a tile floor in our breakfast nook (no table). That is where I spray baste. The grout lines make it easy to line things up. When finished, I mop the floor to get rid of the overspray. That floor space is great for blocking and drying quilts too.

MadQuilter 01-18-2016 12:40 PM

I don't mind the 505 and use it in the house. I do open a window (or door) for ventilation. I actually put an old sheet over the bed and do my basting there. First I layer backing fabric and batting so they are nice and smooth. Then I peel back the batting half way and spray the backing fabric. I smooth the batting down and then turn the piece over to do the same to the other side. Then I lay the top down and pull it back half way. This is when I spray the batting and smooth the top over it. When all is done, I press from both sides.

The most I have been able to make adjustments without respraying was twice. Generally my method works for me the first time as I go slow.