Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray Basting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-basting-t148228.html)

JENNR8R 08-27-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by yayaquilts
I have used spray before and didn't really like it. I was quilting a wallhanging, 24" X 48" and much of it wasn't still basted by the time I got to the outside borders. I definitely pin all my quits now!!

Mine is a wallhanging about 18" x 58."

Could I start at the bottom and go to the top? Could I respray if it starts to come undone like yours did?

AFQSinc 08-27-2011 10:42 AM

My recent completed quilt is 45x65 and I spray basted the entire thing. I used 505. I also basted it on my bed for the first time. I lay my backing down, smooth it out, then batting and smooth. I think pull back the batting and spray then do the other half. I then usually have to go back and do another application on the borders. The spray helpd throughout quilting and my kidlet wrapping up in it before it was finished. I don't think I'll ever pin again.

As to the original question - I do stabilizing stitches around the center, ususally, and then I just go from there. Definitely try the spray again. It is a wonder!

sept97 08-28-2011 03:04 AM

I swear by the spray. I don't stick myself anymore with the pins and it holds very well until the quilting is finished. I always start from the center just to be on the safe side too

texaspam 08-28-2011 03:22 AM

I have used spray basting for wall hangings up to queen size and haven't had any problems. I haven't had any problems with it sticking until I am finished either. It works great. I still start in the center and work my way out. It probably isn't necessary, but I like to avoid those unexpected surprises when possible. If you have a design that could use the stitch in the ditch as suggested earlier, that would also give you more security as you FMQ. I think that spray is the best thing since sliced bread! Good luck.

Steady Stiching 08-28-2011 03:39 AM

Still wise to start in the center and work out.

My time 08-28-2011 04:22 AM

It works best on cotton poly batting such as warm and natural or hobbs. Tape you batting down on the table or floor if you need the space. Some one on this board recommended using a wall surface to stretch out your quilt and man they were right. Does it ever work well. Start in the middle of your quilt and spray the fabric not the batting. Trust me it sticks much better this way.I never use pins anymore now that I spray baste.

purrfectquilts 08-28-2011 04:28 AM

Don't overdo the spray. A little goes a long way. Too much gums up your needle, etc.

Barb44 08-28-2011 04:41 AM

I've used the June Tailor basting spray on 2 quilts so far. One had poly batting and one had and 80/20 batting. The poly did not stick as well. Some areas came loose while I was quilting it. Not sure whether it was the poly or not spraying enough. The cotton/poly batting stuck like glue and really stayed together well. I did have some wrinkles in the backing but was able to pull up the fabric and relay it. It still held well after repositioning. I love the basting spray.

I still quilt from the center, just in case something shifts.

JENNR8R 08-28-2011 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by My time
It works best on cotton poly batting such as warm and natural or hobbs. Tape you batting down on the table or floor if you need the space. Some one on this board recommended using a wall surface to stretch out your quilt and man they were right. Does it ever work well. Start in the middle of your quilt and spray the fabric not the batting. Trust me it sticks much better this way.I never use pins anymore now that I spray baste.

I bought 505 Basting Spray. The instructions say "Always spray the 505 on the cotton batting." It's good to know that it will work on either the fabric or the batting, and I could use 80/20 batting.

It also says "Cleans up with DKS Cleaning Agent." I have no idea what that is. Won't it come out with water?

sept97 08-28-2011 05:23 AM

I lay a sheet on the floor then lay out the bottom, batting and top. Peel back half of the top, spray the batting then smooth it back over and do the same for the other side of the top, flip it over or peel back the batting to expose the back and spray the batting and smooth it over again. If there are any wrinkles it's easy enough to peel back the fabrick and resmooth it. 505 is my new best friend.