Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray Basting???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-basting-t44397.html)

CarolinePaj 04-30-2010 01:47 AM

Hi Everyone,

Could somebody explain what Spray Basting is? I have heard this on the board but as a newbie have no idea what you are all talking about!

Hugs

Caroline

Janetlmt 04-30-2010 03:00 AM

spray basting is great! Instead of pinning the sandwich together and then doing a running stitch to stablize the entire thing..you spray between each layer with the spray. The sandwich doesn't slip around. I use it for my longarm quilting..I don't attach the top or the batting on the front bars. There are several brands out there. I am parcel to Sullivans quilt Basting Spray. Happy Quilting..
blessings,

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-30-2010 03:29 AM

I tried it for the first time last weekend. It's a bit pricey, but it's so much nicer than crawling on the floor!

jcarilyn 04-30-2010 04:54 AM

I've been using it lately and to me, it's the best thing since sliced bread! I use the June Tailor from Joann's, it's like $12.99 a can so I use my 40% off coupons for it. The can says it will do 3 queen sized quilts, I haven't tested that yet, just using it on everything. I don't think I'll ever use pins again!

CarolinePaj 04-30-2010 07:23 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the explanation. So if I understand it the spray keeps the sandwich together so you can quilt it?

Can you give me the name of some sprays so that I can look it up in the UK?

Hugs

Caroline

pattylouk 04-30-2010 07:28 AM

I love it!, I have a tendency to make "too Big" quilts, and this is perfect... spay it on the backing, apply the batting... if it has a wrinkle just pull it up in that area and re-apply... when you have it like you want... spray the batting and apply the quilt top, I do it in rows so that it's not so apt to wrinkle and bunch.... NO MORE PINS!
Patty

and I used it for another problem too... I had a handicapped person who was to stay at my home, but with my flooring it was so slippery with the rug... so I sprayed the RUG bottom... it worked, and it wasn't so hard to clean up after they left... LOVE it!

Kitsie 04-30-2010 07:29 AM

Caroline, just ask any of your favorite quilt or fabric shops over there and I'm sure they'll know what you mean if you ask for "quilt basting spray". Good luck!

BellaBoo 04-30-2010 07:53 AM

I made a table runner and tried an idea. I diluted Elmer's School glue just enough for it to spray and used that to baste it. I pressed it dry and it worked fine and it washes out completely and no fumes. It will save the basting spray to use on bigger projects.

amma 04-30-2010 09:33 AM

Great idea BellaBoo :D:D:D

ann clare 04-30-2010 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the explanation. So if I understand it the spray keeps the sandwich together so you can quilt it?

Can you give me the name of some sprays so that I can look it up in the UK?

Hugs

Caroline

505 is widely available in the uk. Quilting stores sell it.