Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   SPRAY Starch - Fabric - HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-starch-fabric-help-t84338.html)

ckcowl 12-21-2010 01:48 PM

way too much starch to water ratio. then a light misting, let it soak in and then iron

Prism99 12-21-2010 01:58 PM

Spray starch can just sit on the surface of the fabric (especially if the fabric has not been pre-washed). If you iron the fabric before the spray starch has been absorbed, you get the problems you describe.

Ways to avoid this, as others have mentioned, are to (1) preheat the fabric so the starch absorbs faster, (2) spray the wrong side of the fabric, (3) spray and then wait for the starch to be absorbed before starting to iron, and/or (4) spray and dry the fabric completely before starting to iron (steam will activate the starch). Your ratio of starch and water would work fine for this method.

What I like to do for fabric is mix up my solution of Sta-Flo and water and "paint" it on the fabric with a large wall painting brush, then toss the fabric in the dryer. After it comes out of the dryer, I iron with lots of steam. Can't do this with pieced tops, but it's much faster than spraying for starching yardage.

pocoellie 12-21-2010 02:24 PM

I mix my starch 50/50, spray the fabric and let it "soak" for a minimum of 2 hours, then either put in the dryer for a few minutes or air dry, then iron, I don't have a problem with the flaking then.

featherweight 12-21-2010 02:29 PM

Wow, Sta Flo is concentrate. You are mixing it way way to heavy. It will end up like a board. I use 1 part sta flo 1 part water and 1 part Fabreeze to make it smell good. you should be able to make about a gallon with your mixture.

patricej 12-21-2010 02:38 PM

all the suggestions so far are on point.

however, i'll throw in my own just for the heck of it.

don't worry about the flakes. what doesn't fall off or rub off very shortly will wash away.

ignore them. :-)

lovequilts 12-21-2010 03:49 PM

I'll just add I use MaryEllen's Best Press. The best starch I've ever used. It comes in a spray bottle and lasts a long time.

gale 12-21-2010 03:52 PM

I like Patrice's advice. I honestly don't have time to wait for my starched fabric to dry most of the time. Or patience. And I won't put it in the dryer-my dh and dd have sensitive skin so if starch got on the dryer and then on their clothes, that might cause problems.

grammy17 12-21-2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by gale
For the iron, I have found that straight vinegar works pretty good for cleaning off the burnt starch.

My mother used to clean the iron by sprinkling salt on waxed paper then ironing over it with a warm iron.

Prism99 12-21-2010 04:15 PM

Oops! I misread your starch:water ratio as 6 c. water to 1 c. starch. If it's the other way around, I'm not sure how you could even spray it!

The heaviest starch mixture I use is a 1:1 ratio of Sta-Flo to water.

featherweight 12-21-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Oops! I misread your starch:water ratio as 6 c. water to 1 c. starch. If it's the other way around, I'm not sure how you could even spray it!

The heaviest starch mixture I use is a 1:1 ratio of Sta-Flo to water.

Actually she did say 6 cups starch to 1 cup water.