Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray starch v stablizer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-starch-v-stablizer-t45426.html)

Jerrie 05-10-2010 04:39 AM

if you don't have any stablizer can you use spray starch in its place for machine embroidery

Up North 05-10-2010 04:45 AM

I think it might work if the pattern is not dense can you use a used dryer sheet? I have done some patterns without stabilizer some work some not so well.

Jerrie 05-10-2010 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I think it might work if the pattern is not dense can you use a used dryer sheet? I have done some patterns without stabilizer some work some not so well.

oh never heard of using fabric sheet . Do it have to be used or not??

Prism99 05-10-2010 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jerrie
if you don't have any stablizer can you use spray starch in its place for machine embroidery

I don't think spray starch would stiffen the material enough.

An alternative would be to stiffen the fabrc with a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, wait for it to dry (or toss in dryer if you will cut the fabric afterwards), then iron with steam. That is a very heavy starch mixture and would leave the fabric with approximately the stiffness of a piece of cardstock. I have done machine applique this way, including satin stitch, with no need for additional stabilizer.

Up North 05-10-2010 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jerrie

oh never heard of using fabric sheet . Do it have to be used or not??

It might leave a residue on your fabric if it hasn't been used. I have used them in a pinch, Now I save my used ones.

amma 05-10-2010 07:49 AM

I think that starch may work on cotton for some designs, but I don't think I would trust it for tshirts and other stretchy fabrics.

sewnsewer2 05-10-2010 08:45 AM

No, do not use dryer sheets or just spray starch instead of stabilizer. You must use stabilizer. Do not use coffee filters either.

Up North 05-10-2010 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
No, do not use dryer sheets or just spray starch instead of stabilizer. You must use stabilizer. Do not use coffee filters either.

What is the reason for not using these things? Inquiring minds want to know.

sxboyer 05-10-2010 10:31 AM

Interesing, I have used coffee filters for about 30 years, and have never had any issues with them. They are rather difficult to remove in close embroidery, but gennerally I just pull off what comes easy around the edges and what is surrounded by stitching does not show through.

sewnsewer2 05-12-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2

What is the reason for not using these things? Inquiring minds want to know.

You need the stabilizer to stabilize the stitches. It's like sewing on 1 layer of fabric only, not a good idea unless you have a stabilizer, it will be a mess.