Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray starch vs Magic Sizing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-starch-vs-magic-sizing-t220957.html)

quiltin-nannie 05-07-2013 09:16 AM

Spray starch vs Magic Sizing?

I just spent over an hour ironing small, 5"x8" up to 1/2 yard pieces from my stash for a scrappy quilt. I used a full can of spray starch and when I ran out, I used Magic Sizing. Didn't notice a whole lot of difference in the hand of the material when I was done. Are there any advantages to using one over the other? I don't normally use products but since I dusted off the Accuquilt GO(which I haven't used for at least 3-4 years), I thought 2 1/2" squares might need a little starch before cutting. Wow! I forgot how quick and easy cutting was with this gadget! I could cut 54 squares in the time it would take me to cut 20 squares, even using my June Taylor! Thanks to everyone who talked about using their GO. I was ready to sell mine from lack of use, but this has changed my mind!

jcrow 05-07-2013 09:20 AM

I have Magic Sizing but haven't used it yet. I am not sure about what it does compared to starch. Glad you said it wasn't much different. Now I know I can use it. Thanks.

Daffy Daphne 05-07-2013 09:33 AM

I love Magic Sizing and have used it for years, mainly because I liked the scent. Lately however, since I've begun starching yardage before cutting pieces, diluted liquid starch in a pump bottle seems to be more economical.

nvb50 05-07-2013 10:46 AM

I use Niagra starch in a pump bottle.

Juliebelle 05-07-2013 12:05 PM

I have always used Magic Sizing, when I took my first quilt class the teacher told us that spray starch attracts bugs. I have been happy with it for over 12 years.

MacThayer 05-07-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Juliebelle (Post 6050722)
I have always used Magic Sizing, when I took my first quilt class the teacher told us that spray starch attracts bugs. I have been happy with it for over 12 years.

Any starch will attract bugs, but that's only when you use starch and then put it back in your stash. I've found this to be more true in humid climates than dry ones, e.g. when I lived in Wisconsin and Virginia, I couldn't leave starch in my fabric if it was going back to the stash, but out here in Nevada, I don't have a problem. I use the spray sizing on material that doesn't need a lot of extra "body" to it, and spray starch on fabrics that need more body, or when I'm cutting on the bias of the material for some reason, like with HST's.

Material Witness 05-07-2013 05:00 PM

I've heard that the sizing does not gum up your iron, which is the reason to avoid starch. (Don't know about that part.) I do like the sizing better because it's not so heavy.

Stitch124 05-08-2013 04:24 AM

I've used Best Press on my scraps and used almost 1/2 the bottle. Planning on using Magic Sizing unless I can find a cheaper alternative that I can make from home that won't ruin my new iron and attract bugs.

Petey 05-08-2013 05:16 AM

I took a Karen Kay Buckley class on applique - she recommends Magic Sizing for the following reasons - starch can produce white flakes on fabric while sizing does not, does not stain you ironing board cover and does not gum up your iron. I use it for applique - ironing on a small table ironing board and look the same as when I first got it. No stains.

gale 05-08-2013 11:17 AM

I've been using niagara spray but I think I'll pick up some magic sizing today to try.