Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   spraying quilt layers before racking quilt on Grace GMQ Pro frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spraying-quilt-layers-before-racking-quilt-grace-gmq-pro-frame-t86167.html)

fayefromfla 12-30-2010 06:33 AM

Has anyone used 505 spray to make quilt sandwich and quilted it on a quilting frame. I have used 505 spray on twin size quilts that I quilted on my home sewing machine and it worked great.
I recently purchased used a Grace GMQ Pro frame & Juki TL98Q.

kathy 12-30-2010 07:19 AM

with that type frame you don't need to spray baste because all 3 layers go on a roller, or you can just put you backing on the roller and float the top but still need to baste or pin the edges as you work, I have that frame , I used the spray one time just to see if it was any better, it wasn't

amandasgramma 12-30-2010 07:26 AM

I wouldn't......and as Kathy says, you don't need to. I HAVE used the spray on the edges, when doing an edge to edge design just to keep the edges from flipping. But that was only when I was using a design that had a lot of off and ons on the edges. It was a pain in the bxxx. I prefer a few pins on the sides and that's all. As for floating the tops and not pinning the bottom. I've seen where you get some special "grips" to hold the top layer down. I use them for my "testing" quilt, but not for good quilts. Seems it doesn't hold the quilts as well.

The grips are on this page: http://myqbot.com/notions.html

fayefromfla 12-30-2010 07:27 AM

I really liked how the spray held the layers together. I was thinking maybe it would be a short cut. My plan is to donate quilts once I have tried new patterns on the quilt tops.

Terryl 12-30-2010 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by fayefromfla
Has anyone used 505 spray to make quilt sandwich and quilted it on a quilting frame. I have used 505 spray on twin size quilts that I quilted on my home sewing machine and it worked great.

Not a good idea, my friend and I just had a beast of a time trying to quilt a T-shirt quilt that had been spray basted or fused, our needle kept gunking up, we could only quilt small sections before having to clean/change the needle. We will never accept another that has been spray basted fused again
Where are you in Florida?

sewwhat85 12-30-2010 07:31 AM

dont think it would be necessary

dgmoby 12-30-2010 07:38 AM

When I first got my longarm and discovered the 4 pole system, I fell in love! I don't use any sprays, as I'd never want that on my frame or machine. And I don't find it necessary, just an added expense/step.

When floating, I don't use anything either - if it's necessary, then I'll insert 4 or so pins in front of the top bar to hold the layers still, but otherwise, usually the batting will hold everything just fine. If you find your top is scooting, then your machine foot may be too low and moving the fabric or you may be working with an extra fluffy batt (that does call for more pins). Or it could be the quilt is being rolled too tightly (it should only be tight enough to pull the wrinkles out, not any tighter as that leads to needle flexing and stitching problems). Anyway, if it's needed I will pin down my sides, but since I always baste them down, I hardly ever pin. The basting holds them well for going off and on, and it sure helps with the binding as well. My folks love that I baste the edges for them.

I've tried every method on the market the past few years since I got my machine, and this the one that works best, and fastest for me ;)

Just the way I do it...
Debbie in Austin

kathy 12-30-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Terryl

Originally Posted by fayefromfla

Not a good idea, my friend and I just had a beast of a time trying to quilt a T-shirt quilt that had been spray basted or fused, our needle kept gunking up, we could only quilt small sections before having to clean/change the needle. We will never accept another that has been spray basted fused again
Where are you in Florida?

Terry, it mused have been the fusible stuff they used because spray baste does not gunk the needle, the must have have use a heavy fusible, not all of it is meant to be sewed through