Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Square Dance dress now, quilt later. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/square-dance-dress-now-quilt-later-t208227.html)

yippie 12-13-2012 08:01 AM

May I say WoW I love the dress. I also was a square dancer many years ago. My mom made all my dresses and their were many. I loved them all I do not know what ever became of them wish I had them now. What a great Idea to make a quilt from them. Happy quilting Yippie

dsews2 12-13-2012 08:47 AM

My mom used to make her own square dance dresses and didn't look anything like yours......it's beautiful..and i agree it looks like it could make a giant christmas tree skirt.

Sparkling Lake 12-13-2012 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 5717483)
DON'T CUT UP YOUR DRESS JUST YET! I have been thinking about making a quilted square dance dress for a long time. But the reason for not cutting it up, is, maybe you will get back into square dancing again. Our club has many single dancers. Some have lost their partners, some spouses just don't want to dance or can't, and some are just single. We have five or more women who know the man's part and at least that many who are learning it. We also have at least four guys who have learned the woman's part. When we have lessons, there is one square in the back of men doing women's part and women doing men's part. The have a lot of fun doing that, and it is so much fun watching that, because they get mixed up sometimes. But they are getting better. So if you can't find a partner, go to lessons and learn the man's part. Or find another woman to dance with. It's all fun.

I agree w/ Mavita. If you love to square dance check out Mavita's suggestions. I love to clog but you don't need a partner all the time. Maybe your could check into clogging. It's great fun.

Friday1961 12-13-2012 11:41 AM

I was a square dancer, too, and made a lot of dresses. But when we quit square dancing I gave them all away. Think of the quilts I could have made! (though none of mine were pieced looking, as this one is)

nannyrick 12-13-2012 12:25 PM

Oooooh, love it. Show us when you are done, OK.

suzanprincess 12-13-2012 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 5717483)
DON'T CUT UP YOUR DRESS JUST YET! I have been thinking about making a quilted square dance dress for a long time. But the reason for not cutting it up, is, maybe you will get back into square dancing again. Our club has many single dancers. Some have lost their partners, some spouses just don't want to dance or can't, and some are just single. We have five or more women who know the man's part and at least that many who are learning it. We also have at least four guys who have learned the woman's part. When we have lessons, there is one square in the back of men doing women's part and women doing men's part. The have a lot of fun doing that, and it is so much fun watching that, because they get mixed up sometimes. But they are getting better. So if you can't find a partner, go to lessons and learn the man's part. Or find another woman to dance with. It's all fun.

Another square dancer chiming in: I too have no regular partner, but have been having a ball at Workshop dancing with whomever needs a partner, man or woman. It's fun dancing the man's part, as it's a little more challenging, which I like; I have to keep reminding myself I'm a man, especially on the nights when I end up dancing both parts (in separate tips, I mean).

Even though the dress may not fit you now, it could still be made into a skirt if you decide to return to dancing, or sold or donated to a current dancer; pretty, distinctive designs like this one are always good sellers at our Clothes Closets.

onemoe 12-13-2012 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy (Post 5713945)
I made this dress many years ago and always loved it. However, now I don't have a partner and probably can't get into it so it is time to make it into a quilt.

great idea:thumbup:

JanieH 12-13-2012 03:45 PM

Love the dress and it will awesome in a quilt.

quiltapillow 12-13-2012 04:04 PM

After you make it a quilt; I would label it and give the date and reference of being a Sq.Dance Dress with all the extra details....!!!!!!!!! Then enjoy the quilt and memories together.

sewdamncute 12-13-2012 05:59 PM

What a great idea!