Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Square. Ruler problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/square-ruler-problem-t279722.html)

mollymunchkin 06-18-2016 05:42 PM

Square. Ruler problem

The markings on a couple of my rulers are coming off. How can I fix them?

Onebyone 06-18-2016 07:50 PM

Time to buy a new ruler. They don't last forever.

Just Jan 06-18-2016 08:41 PM

Depends on the ruler. Some specialty rulers are worth saving due to the price to start with! If possible use a fine tip perma pen and the non shiny scotch tape. If you can write on the ruler, go over the marks, then put the tape over your marks to seal it in. If you can't write on the ruler due to it being glossy, put a strip of the flat finish scotch tape on the ruler, write on the tape then seal it with another piece of tape. Give the ink time to dry before adding the tape over it so it won't smear.

quiltingcandy 06-18-2016 08:41 PM

I would agree with Onebyone. It sounds like it may be time to get a new one. But I have used that cling-on colored tape on mine so that I don't get accidentally use the wrong line.

QuiltnNan 06-19-2016 01:39 AM

this is one reason that i love the rulers with laser cut markings. mine are fluorescent. i can see the markings on any color fabric and the markings do not wear off

ManiacQuilter2 06-19-2016 02:13 AM

I have had some Omnigrid rulers since they first came out in the late 80s and the lines have worn off. I would suggest buying a Creative Grid. I am amazed on how they don't move when on fabric. Being older, I like that quality in a ruler even if they are on the higher priced ruler, saves money not to have to go the ER room. :) Treat yourself and buy yourself a new ruler.

quiltingshorttimer 06-19-2016 06:03 PM

Thanks, Just Jan--I have a couple of specialty rulers that are not laser cut, just printed. I noticed on my Wonder Cut one (for HST) that lines were getting worn--I'll use your method to save this ruler.

tessagin 06-19-2016 06:43 PM

this sounds like a great idea. I'm a "tight Tessy" with the penny so anything I can make last I will.

Originally Posted by Just Jan (Post 7580683)
Depends on the ruler. Some specialty rulers are worth saving due to the price to start with! If possible use a fine tip perma pen and the non shiny scotch tape. If you can write on the ruler, go over the marks, then put the tape over your marks to seal it in. If you can't write on the ruler due to it being glossy, put a strip of the flat finish scotch tape on the ruler, write on the tape then seal it with another piece of tape. Give the ink time to dry before adding the tape over it so it won't smear.

patski 06-19-2016 08:27 PM

is it a fiskars? Mine is only a year old and the marking are flaking off

WMUTeach 06-20-2016 02:49 AM

It is new....or even not so new, I would return it to the company and ask for a replacement. Those lines should not come off. One of the gals in my guild actually had a ruler with incorrect measurement lines. Could not figure out why her work was always such a challenge and never accurate. The company replaced her ruler ASAP! It is worth a try.