Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Square on square and disappearing 9 block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/square-square-disappearing-9-block-t40462.html)

LogCabinLady 03-23-2010 12:00 PM

I have two questions: First has anyone ever made either of these patterns into a ragged quilt? I am using flannel on the back and would like to have the flannel side be ragged and the other side be square on square or the diappearing 9 block.
Also, on the square on square: I noticed that some people make the squares with blocks and rectangles where others lay a smaller square on a bigger one and then an even smaller one on that one. I would prefer this way, but wonder if it would still be okay to make the back into a ragged. So there would be some ragged on both sides. I hope this questions is not too complicated, but I know you are all so smart you can answer for me. Thanks.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-23-2010 12:33 PM

I have never made either one, but I hope someone here will know the answer.

Ditter43 03-23-2010 09:28 PM

You can do it any way you want to! It's your quilt!!!! That's what so fun about making quilts...It gives you freedom of expression.
I assume you intend to do this one block at a time with the batting and flannel backing cut so when you sew it together, your seams will show and be raggy on the back.
I have done something similar to what you are talking about on the front. Just sew it down about 1/2" from the edge and clip to the sewing line. It will ravel and fray out too.
Be sure to show us the quilt after it's done!!

Ditter

LogCabinLady 03-24-2010 09:15 AM

Thanks. You are right, I will be doing one block at at time as you described and I can do what I want, I just think that maybe there are rules. I won't worry about that anymore. I have made raggy quilts before, but not with the rag on the back side, only on the front. I guess one problem I see is that what side do you lay face down on the bed? I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the fringe on the bottom or I guess it is a reversible quilt and they can do what they want to do also.

One other question: if I do the disappearing 9 block would I fringe a block at a time, or a section of the block? Or I guess I can do what I want?

Originally Posted by Ditter43
You can do it any way you want to! It's your quilt!!!! That's what so fun about making quilts...It gives you freedom of expression.
I assume you intend to do this one block at a time with the batting and flannel backing cut so when you sew it together, your seams will show and be raggy on the back.
I have done something similar to what you are talking about on the front. Just sew it down about 1/2" from the edge and clip to the sewing line. It will ravel and fray out too.
Be sure to show us the quilt after it's done!!

Ditter

craftybear 03-26-2010 04:36 PM

I haven't but I am sure someone else on here has and can help you. This is my # 1 group online, everyone is so friendly and helptful!