Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Square in a square by Jodi Barrows (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/square-square-jodi-barrows-t82470.html)

Kappy 12-12-2010 08:23 PM

Has anyone tried this style of quilting? I have made a couple and really like them, but I was wondering if I'm wasting a lot of fabric? And with the price of fabric going up I want to get the most bang from my buck! It is fast, but I feel like I am trimming off a lot of useable fabric--oh don't worry, I didn't throw it away..I saved it, but just wondering if anyone else has an opinion. I actually haven't sat down and figured out fabric amts. doing it the Smoking Needle Way or the traditional way. I fear it would tax my brain being so close to Christmas and all. :roll:

charismah 12-12-2010 08:53 PM

HI I love the SnS technique! You can use it for diamonds...flying geese and SNS! I just use my extra fabric for paper peicing...it is so fast and accurate I can't hardly think about doing it the traditional way!

Kappy 12-12-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
HI I love the SnS technique! You can use it for diamonds...flying geese and SNS! I just use my extra fabric for paper peicing...it is so fast and accurate I can't hardly think about doing it the traditional way!

Paper piecing...I haven't thought about that, but you're right, those pieces would be big enough for that. Would you believe my first quilt was the tumbling block and it turned out great, even if I do say so myself! I made it for my grandson. I have just attemped to convert a pattern and am figuring out the amouts of fabric, but I think my brain is running low on either caffiene or sugar...maybe both! Would love to hear /see more of what you've made.

TN Donna 12-12-2010 09:15 PM

I like it because it is so quick and easy.

amma 12-12-2010 09:19 PM

You could always make a PP block that uses this sized scraps too :D:D:D

Cyn 12-12-2010 09:21 PM

I have enjoyed making them in the past. I use the left overs in some way or another so it doesn't go to waste.

beachlady 12-13-2010 06:48 AM

Want to do one of htese, so thanks for the sugestion about the scraps.

thequilterslink 12-13-2010 06:59 AM

If u need a fast quilt it is the way to go.

janb 12-13-2010 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kappy
Has anyone tried this style of quilting? I have made a couple and really like them, but I was wondering if I'm wasting a lot of fabric? And with the price of fabric going up I want to get the most bang from my buck! It is fast, but I feel like I am trimming off a lot of useable fabric--oh don't worry, I didn't throw it away..I saved it, but just wondering if anyone else has an opinion. I actually haven't sat down and figured out fabric amts. doing it the Smoking Needle Way or the traditional way. I fear it would tax my brain being so close to Christmas and all. :roll:

Sorry to be such a "newbie" but what is Square in a square? and Smoking Needle? I am about to start a new quilt top and could use a quickie.

Scissor Queen 12-13-2010 07:49 AM

I never used her method. I have made 6 twin size square in a square quilts so far and have two more in the works. Basically if a method makes "waste" I don't use it because it really does add up.

I figured the difference between the folded corners method and the four at once method for flying geese on a queen size quilt and it was a full yard.