Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Square Up Ruler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/square-up-ruler-t276336.html)

Jan in VA 03-04-2016 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by AliKat (Post 7483597)
That Patchwork Place square up ruler. it is easy to read no matter the fabric color and is 1/4" increments.

Actually, if it's the Bias Square ruler, the markings are iin 1/8th increments, the very reason it's my all time favorite square up for 8" and less. Have been working on them for a while to make us a 12" like it.....wanna join the cause?!

Jan in VA

Onebyone 03-04-2016 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one that is 12 1/2". The markings are in 1/8". The back has the raised lines to hold the fabric.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544014[/ATTACH]

berryberry 03-04-2016 06:04 PM

Tucker Trimmer- I have the 6 1/2 and the 12 1/2 inch one. Check out Studio 180/ Deb Tucker's website. It has videos showing how to use the ruler. It's a staple quilting tool for me.

patti p 03-04-2016 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by berryberry (Post 7484361)
Tucker Trimmer- I have the 6 1/2 and the 12 1/2 inch one. Check out Studio 180/ Deb Tucker's website. It has videos showing how to use the ruler. It's a staple quilting tool for me.

I just bought Deb Tucker's rapid star ruler and Leyome star ruler. That is the blocks I'm working on now that need squaring up.

Jan in VA 03-04-2016 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7484096)
Here is one that is 12 1/2". The markings are in 1/8".......

Ah, good for you for having found this one from Olipfa; it's the ONLY other one like the Bias Squares from Martingale on the market today. And is also the one I recommend for my classes to use for blocks larger than 8". Unfortunately, it seems that Olipfa has changed up the design slightly and this particular model # isn't easily found any more. :( That's why I beg for others to write to Martingale to ask for a 12" Bias Square.

Would you mind reading the model # to us, I admit I've forgotten it and can't quite read the picture?

Jan in VA

QuiltnLady1 03-04-2016 07:27 PM

I use my omnigrid rulers -- I use the largest ruler that works for what I am squaring up -- I have a 20" (or is it 20.5") for my quilts and bigger projects. There are some neat little corner things on the ruler that I match up with corners of the blocks if I don't have HST's to help square things up. I like the bigger ruler for squaring the quilt because it gets from the edge to the blocks.

deemail 03-04-2016 08:40 PM

I prefer the olfa's and I have collected them over the year so that I have every half inch size from 2" to 6 1/2" and then a couple of large ones for everything else. I prefer them because they have all markings in black and yellow so that one or the other shows up on everything. I use them with a small 6 x 5 cutting mat for most squares .. on a lap desk... the mat moves freely so that I don't have to move the square which I feel is critical to success. I line up the center of the square with the center mark of the ruler.. straighten to make sure it is straight on the side and then trim 2 sides... right and top.... leave square and ruler alone...but rotate the small mat... till it is 180 off from original position. again cut right and top and done... move ONLY on the diagonal after matching the center point.... sliding back and forth will mess up your center.... just match the center...then the diagonal ruler line onto the square and adjust ONLY by sliding up and back on the diagonal..

Carol Jean 03-04-2016 08:59 PM

I love my Quilt in A Day Rulers! They are so nice for sharing up blocks.

coopah 03-05-2016 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by sweet (Post 7483168)
I have almost worn out my 12.5 " Quilt In A Day square up ruler. It does go on sale on occasion. I like the ease of using it and certainly would buy it again.

Same here. I put Invisigrip on the back to prevent slippage. I have recently purchased some Creative Grid rulers and LOVE them. BUT, I will keep the Quilt in a Day Square Up because it doesn't have the zillions of markings that CG tends to use. I like the uncluttered ease of use with the QinaDay Sqaure Up.

grammasharon 03-05-2016 05:56 AM

On Jan's recommendation I purchased this ruler and use it for squaring up and it works great. Took me some time after I got it to start using it but now it is my favorite too. Thanks Jan it was a good choice for me.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7484084)
Actually, if it's the Bias Square ruler, the markings are iin 1/8th increments, the very reason it's my all time favorite square up for 8" and less. Have been working on them for a while to make us a 12" like it.....wanna join the cause?!

Jan in VA