Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Squaring Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/squaring-blocks-t39236.html)

JLD 03-12-2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

You mention a carpenter's square. Is this the tool you intend to use to square your blocks?

I was hoping to as I had seen some talk about using them in some of the searching on the topic. While square rulers would be nice and convenient I am sure, I can not afford to buy them right now. So I am hoping to figure out how to do it with out them.

MadQuilter 03-12-2010 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by JLD

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

You mention a carpenter's square. Is this the tool you intend to use to square your blocks?

I was hoping to as I had seen some talk about using them in some of the searching on the topic. While square rulers would be nice and convenient I am sure, I can not afford to buy them right now. So I am hoping to figure out how to do it with out them.

The carpenter's square is sometimes used to square up a QUILT because it is rather long and can cover a large part of the quilt "around the corner." I cannot imagine using such an unwieldly tool for squaring up a block. The regular see-through ruler allows you to see all sides of the block and where each seamline falls. The carpenter square only gives you visibility on two sides.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-12-2010 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
If you have a square ruler the size you want the block to be, it's easiest. The rulers have the center marked, so you put the center on the center of your applique, line up the diagonals and cut around the ruler.

I need to buy a bigger ruler then.

JLD 03-12-2010 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

The carpenter's square is sometimes used to square up a QUILT because it is rather long and can cover a large part of the quilt "around the corner." I cannot imagine using such an unwieldly tool for squaring up a block. The regular see-through ruler allows you to see all sides of the block and where each seamline falls. The carpenter square only gives you visibility on two sides.

Thank you for clearing that up. I will see what I can do with what I have.

raptureready 03-12-2010 07:01 PM

Please spend the money to get at least a 12 1/2" square ruler, one longer ruler and a couple of small ones.
You will be so much happier with your end results. I had never had a 3 1/2" square until recently and I love it for squaring up HSTs. Square as you go and you'll have beautiful results.

JLD 03-13-2010 07:35 AM

Thanks for the advice on buying the ruler - I can't do that right now not funds for it. I was hoping to figure out how folks use to square up without them. I have a nice long ruler. I read somewhere that I could use wax paper. Maybe I will have to keep surfing the web. Thanks for your help, now I know what to add to the list of desires!

BellaBoo 03-13-2010 08:01 AM

Be sure when you square up you don't cut off the 1/4" you need so any points won't be whacked off. I use this square up ruler a lot:

http://tinyurl.com/ygwoq97

There is a video demo of how to use it that's very informative about squaring up blocks.

grammy17 02-19-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Square up rulers are an awesome investment. I have a 6 1/2" and a 12 1/2". You would center the applique in which ever size portion of the ruler you are using, cut around two sides and then move the ruler, center and cut the last two sides.

Thank you! I have been using my ruler incorrectly. Your message made it much easier.

I'm so indebted to the members of this board. Every day I learn something new.

RedGarnet222 02-19-2011 10:13 AM

Square up rulers are an awesome investment. I have a 6 1/2" and a 12 1/2". You would center the applique in which ever size portion of the ruler you are using, cut around two sides and then move the ruler, center and cut the last two sides.

Totally agree with amma! These tools are the best! I use mine constantly.

Veronica 02-19-2011 10:20 AM

I just got some of these rulers, what a difference they make.
My blocks have never looked so good.
You should get yourself some when they are on sale.