Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Squaring up a 9 patch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/squaring-up-9-patch-t268797.html)

nannyrick 08-15-2015 09:34 AM

Squaring up a 9 patch?

Is there an easy way to do this? I have checked on YouTube, but I don't
see what I,m looking for. I am sewing 2 1/2" squares together to make a 9
patch but if I square it up I,m cutting of the squares all around and the one
in the center is the only one left that is the correct size, (2") is in the middle.
What is the answer for this? Thanks in advance.
Elaine

Tartan 08-15-2015 09:56 AM

Yes, trimming the edges will change the original size of the outer squares. It is best to work on an accurate seam allowance so you don't need to trim. Now if you have already sewn all your 9 patches and need to trim them, you will just have to live with the smaller edge squares. You could cut them into the Disappearing 9 patch pattern and they would be less noticeable?

MadQuilter 08-15-2015 10:19 AM

Remember, nobody is going to go back and measure which blocks are the original size and which are not. As long as your seams are consistent and you shave a consistent amount off, then you should be able to align the blocks and make the seams match. If you have too much difference, then your seams are not consistent and you may want to go back to the beginnings and figure out where the seams get off in the first place.

I just had to deal with that topic when my HSTs came out a little wonky and I had to fudge my whirly-gigs.

quilterpurpledog 08-15-2015 10:34 AM

When you stitch 9 2-1/2 together you should have a 2 inch center square because you sewed a 1/4 inch seam on all sides of it. The rest of the squares-all the surrounding 8 squares should measure 2 1/4 inches because you need to stitch them onto other squares. I believe the unfinished squares should measure 6 1/2 inches and the finished square would be 6 inches. In this case all squares would measure 2 inches finished. If you cut away parts of your 2 1/2 squares they will not match fit into adjoining squares in straight sets. Check to see if your 1/4 inch seam is consistent. It is easy to trail it off when you get to the far end of the seam.

Boston1954 08-15-2015 10:49 AM

My sister has a ruler that is 12.5 x 12.5 and it is great. She can just lay it on the block and go to town.

Bree123 08-15-2015 10:56 AM

To square a 6" finished block, you want it to square to 6.5". The center block will be 2" square. The rest will be 2.25" square until you stitch to another block.

If you tried to do that & are still off, only way to get it perfect is to unsew. I have that problem right now with my 9 patch. I mis-cut and made the inner strip 1/8" too small. So I'm just changing my finished block size from 10" to 9.75". I split the 1/8" difference across the piece so my blocks are only 1/16" off on either side which a 3-year old (or most non-quilter adults) will never notice. If you're not entering it in a show, chalk it up as a good lesson, square your blocks smaller and move on. :)

If I plan to make a bunch, I will buy that size of a square ruler at Joann when they have a 50% off coupon (they have one through today). You may also need to block it & to do that you just lightly spritz with water & tack to carpet with T-shaped pins.

Here's a link:
http://youtu.be/cdUTLkNc0po

ManiacQuilter2 08-15-2015 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ONLY trim blocks that I have oversized. I have used EB method of 9 patch blcoks but then I make my own changes so that I can trim them done so they are perfect. Unfortunately, her method makes two 9 patch blocks from two squares of fabric. A positive and a negative one.

quiltingbuddy 08-16-2015 06:21 AM

I agree with Maniac and boy is that a darling quilt too. Is the EB 9 patch done some special way? Where would I find that method? I've only done it where I've cut a bazillion 2 or 2 1/2" squares and then started sewing.

bearisgray 08-16-2015 07:13 AM

I don't understand your question.

If your squares are all the same size - and your seams are all the same width - what is there to square up?

Genden 08-16-2015 07:23 AM

I have just completed a nine patch top. I was careful in cutting, used aurifil thread, and a scant 1/4" seam. I still had about four blocks that were too small when measuring for 6 1/2 inches to be a final 6" block. I just made four more blocks and they were fine. (I always buy a little extra fabric.) I would like to know the secret for perfect blocks every time.