Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Squaring Up Backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/squaring-up-backing-t270414.html)

Girlfriend 09-26-2015 08:59 AM

Squaring Up Backing

Hi, I am trying to square up fabric for a backing (that needs to be 70 x 82). I am using 126" wide fabric and have prewashed a piece that is big enough to square down to.

My question is, if I square it up by ripping WOF and then use the selvages, will my backing be completely squared?

Thanks in advance from all you great quilters. This is my first time ripping to square up and not sure about it.

sewingitalltogether 09-26-2015 09:36 AM

I would most likely rip it. Don't forget you will want about 4" on each side.

ManiacQuilter2 09-26-2015 09:39 AM

I would also rip it too but don't forget the extra needed especially for a LAQ. But the weave is not always straight of grain.

ckcowl 09-26-2015 10:03 AM

Salvages do not always shrink the same as the body of the fabric- one of the reasons we Always remove the salvages. They are often wonky after prewashing. I would not ( assume) they are straight or square without checking.

luvstoquilt301 09-26-2015 11:47 AM

I do not quilt for money----just myself and charity. If possible I always pin the top and bottom of the backing using the selvages. I have ripped down the sides. I then roll is a bit so the batting and top are a inch or so down from the selvage. Sometimes it is little wonky when rolling just the backing and if you roll it back an forth a bit it will straighten itself out.

I do not prewash the backing. I have no idea if a professional would approve of this method but it works great for me.

ukdame 09-27-2015 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 7328527)
Salvages do not always shrink the same as the body of the fabric- one of the reasons we Always remove the salvages. They are often wonky after prewashing. I would not ( assume) they are straight or square without checking.

"Selvage" not Salvage. Think of the term " self edge " which helps. Salvage is used to re- furbish parts to repair or restore something like a car or boat.

Gail B 09-27-2015 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ukdame (Post 7329566)
"Selvage" not Salvage. Think of the term " self edge " which helps. Salvage is used to re- furbish parts to repair or restore something like a car or boat.

Salvage or Selvage doesn't make any difference - we all know what ckcowl meant. Don't sweat the small things.

Evie 09-28-2015 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7328512)
I would also rip it too but don't forget the extra needed especially for a LAQ. But the weave is not always straight of grain.

For sure the weave is NOT always straight of grain. Photo attached of a wide backing I ripped. About a 12-inch difference between the edges! A name-brand fabric to boot.
:p

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532010[/ATTACH]

tessagin 09-28-2015 08:14 AM

The only thing I'm good at ripping is junk mail!

suzanprincess 09-28-2015 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B (Post 7329588)
Salvage or Selvage doesn't make any difference - we all know what ckcowl meant. Don't sweat the small things.

To me the correct word always makes a difference, and I think the hint on how to keep the words straight is a good one. Perhaps not sweating the small things would include accepting a gentle, well-meaning correction?