Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Squaring up blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/squaring-up-blocks-t245238.html)

JeanneS 04-15-2014 09:07 PM

Squaring up blocks

I'm looking for some hints on squaring up blocks that are rectangles instead of squares. I have been searching You Tube and can't find any videos on this.

Not sure how to post a picture so I will try to describe, it is a Bunny Hill applique pattern Merry Merry Snowmen. The background blocks are large rectangles made up of smaller squares and rectangles and they are all different so I am trying to figure out how/where to place the ruler for trimming?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Jeanne

DOTTYMO 04-15-2014 09:54 PM

I would square up same as a quilt or a square. Honestly it never occurred to me to do it any differently.

Knitette 04-15-2014 10:59 PM

I'm not sure if this is right and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I would use one of the inner 'border' or strip lines to measure against. So, if for example the strip on the right was cut at 2 1/2" and joined to the rest of the block, I'd be laying my ruler along the sewn side and measuring 2 1/4" (1/4" off for seam you've just made) from there.

This is how I was taught to square quilts etc - by using the inner border as my guide.

NJ Quilter 04-16-2014 01:54 AM

Only other option I can come up with if Knitette's doesn't work for you, find a way to mark at least a small intersecting line in the center of your block and line up your ruler on that mark in both directions to square up. Fold the block in half; finger press; fold in half the other way; finger press to find your center. Even if you marked on the back and squared up from that side so you didn't have to worry about the marks????

luana 04-16-2014 03:15 AM

When I square up over-sized blocks and I don't have a ruler that works, I cut a piece of freezer paper the size I want the block. I iron it on the block and line up my ruler with the edges. One piece of freezer paper will do 12 blocks and they all end up being the same size.

Barb in Louisiana 04-16-2014 03:44 AM

When I square up rectangle blocks, I look at the block as a whole, then decide where it makes sense to cut. I don't want to cut off any points, or any important parts of the design. I, also, don't want it wonky. Sometimes, all you can do is add an extra border to the block and upsize it so that it can be squared. It's all about making those design decisions when they are necessary. If you do add the extra border on the block, then make sure you recalculate any other sashing or borders that go in the quilt. I always keep in mind....There are no quilt police in my house and it is my quilt. I can make it into whatever I want!

athomenow 04-16-2014 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by luana (Post 6677607)
When I square up over-sized blocks and I don't have a ruler that works, I cut a piece of freezer paper the size I want the block. I iron it on the block and line up my ruler with the edges. One piece of freezer paper will do 12 blocks and they all end up being the same size.

This is one I'll have to use. I'm really bad at squaring up my blocks, this sounds foolproof. Thanks!

quilter1 04-16-2014 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by luana (Post 6677607)

What a great idea! Quilters are such a creative bunch. Thanks for the post.

CherryPie 04-16-2014 06:07 AM

Thank you Luana for your tip. I, too, have problems sometimes squaring up blocks. Using freezer paper is genius!!!

JeanneS 04-16-2014 08:05 AM

Thank you so much for the replies - I'm still in the beginning stages of quilting so was not sure how to do this.

Thanks to the wonderful Board members I do now!

**Off to square my rectangular blocks**