Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Squaring Up Log Cabin Block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/squaring-up-log-cabin-block-t174667.html)

Deb watkins 01-06-2012 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 4848746)
i ALWAYS square up my blocks as i construct them- makes putting the quilt together later much easier if you have squared up blocks- and saves time having to do them all when you are trying to put them together.

I am right here with this! I didn't do this the first time, and boy, were my blocks wonky.....and really unusuable. Little extra time here sure makes a HUGE difference!

redmadder 01-06-2012 04:52 PM

I put on three rows, square them up, finish and square them up again. Its too much to do it every row. If there are any really out of kilter, they get fixed at three rows.

JUNEC 01-06-2012 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l (Post 4848671)
I PP log cabins, saves having to square up each block when done.

I make them the same way - it is so much easier to paper piece them - to keep them squared

ghostrider 01-06-2012 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by mucky (Post 4849045)
They will go together fine without squareing up each block. Cotton has give and that is one reason it's used for quilting.

And not squaring up as you go is probably the number one reason a quilt top does not lie flat and square when done.

auntpiggylpn 01-06-2012 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l (Post 4848671)
I PP log cabins, saves having to square up each block when done.

I do this too. It is the only way I can get my LC blocks not to be wonky!!!

BluegrassGurl 01-06-2012 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 4848392)
Having just recently completed sewing the top (and now working on the quilting) for a LC - I squared up as I went. Tedious and time consuming as it was I will say the top went together without a hitch. The constant squaring up is one reason why I don't think I'll ever do another LC again!

Me too!!!! It was INDEED tedious.... but went together beautifully and is ready to be quilted. whew. I had to take a break from it for a few days before I begin quilting it. ;-)

deemail 01-06-2012 10:25 PM

i construct the entire block and then square up... it works fine and the trimmings are so tiny that you never notice...

SueSew 01-07-2012 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 4849435)
And not squaring up as you go is probably the number one reason a quilt top does not lie flat and square when done.

Amen! What was wonky and gets sprayed, stretched, or shrunk into shape will pop out again unless you machine quilt it into oblivion, in my limited experience.
Know your piece is cut right size before you start. Measure the seam for 1/4", measure width of top, middle and bottom of block under construction with one of those narrow Ominigrid rulers, and either compensate on the next set of strips in the block the way you would if making a garment, or just trim it up and keep going. I don't think of it as tedium - I think of it as craftsmanship. And I don't say this because I have mastered any of this - quite the opposite! :)

QuiltE 01-07-2012 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 4849435)

Well Said!!!!

..... and sometimes part of the squaring up process, is re-stitching a seam to get it back to being 1/4" precisely!
A little extra work as you go ... creates those better looking quilts at the end!

glorcour 01-08-2012 06:59 AM

I square and trim after each strip is added. If you chain stitch each segment you need to run to your cutting board less often.

And lots of folks suggest log cabin for a first quilt!! Go figure