Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Squaring up quilt blocks...or entire quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/squaring-up-quilt-blocks-entire-quilt-t251102.html)

MFord 07-31-2014 02:34 PM

Squaring up quilt blocks...or entire quilt?

Hi! It seems that some people square up their blocks before sewing them together, and others just go ahead and sew them together and then just square up the whole quilt. I'm probably misunderstanding something - here's my question.

I have sixteen Hunter's Square blocks made. They were cut by an Accuquilt Go, and basically, all of pieces are on the bias. I don't know if that's how it normally comes out, but that's what I ended up with. So, I've gotten them pieced pretty well; most of the points are within a thread or two of where they ought to be. Now, what do I do with the blocks? They've been stretched a bit during the process, some are larger than others, and so on. I don't want to lose any points by trimming, so I feel that I just need to ease them all together to fit, which may involve more stretching.

I could starch them, then iron (forgot to mention it is batik, not pre-washed). Or I could dampen them and try to get them all the same size. Or use some kind of wash-out foundation.

I really need some help, as I have to get them all sewn and get three borders on before August 5th! They are going to be exhibited along with my classmates' quilts in our local Quilt Museum - I want it to be flat and at least neat-looking, if not show-worthy!

Thanks for your help!

Margaret Ford

krafty14 07-31-2014 02:55 PM

I have been working with a lot of 60* triangles lately -- lots of bias. When I sew them together I put the "larger" one on the bottom and it sort of adjusts itself in. Pin well.

Mdegenhart 07-31-2014 03:58 PM

You need to do both. Square each block before sewing together, then square the top before sandwiching.

PenniF 07-31-2014 04:22 PM

I think it depends on the block.....and how far out of square it is. Mine - when there are bias edges, is rarely more than about 1/8 inch and a bit off...that will easily get eased in during assembly. Any time i've had a bigger discrepancy, i've gone back and looked at my seams - usually i've goofed up there. I've also noticed that pressing seams flat vs to one side causes a difference in the size of the block....flat seam pressing blocks are bigger.....or is should say, mine are.

dunster 07-31-2014 04:51 PM

You ask whether to square the block or the quilt. The best answer is neither. Be sure that each unit is exactly the right size as you assemble it (careful cutting, sewing, pressing), and then nothing has to be trimmed at the end. Of course that is advice that we all forget to follow from time to time. Starching the fabric before it is cut helps to keep it from stretching. There are methods for Hunter's Star that wind up with no bias at all (using HST's) and other methods where you do deal with some bias, but it shouldn't be all bias.

It would help to see your blocks, or at least know what the problems are with them. Are they roughly the same size? If you cut them to the same size, will you lose the points when you sew them together? Are they roughly square? If they are wonky (a good quilting term), it will be difficult to make them go together without trimming, but it will also be difficult to trim them without losing points. Sometimes the best course is to take some of the blocks apart and fix the problems in the components that make up the block. Sometimes the best course is to make more blocks. I have a few really wonky ones that I keep around, just to remind myself to pay more attention earlier in the process.

QUILTNMO 07-31-2014 05:39 PM

i square mine befrore i sew them together then once again when all sewn together

franc36 07-31-2014 06:22 PM

I usually square each block as I make it. As for sewing bias edges, I heavily starch my fabric (2/3 Sta Flo to 1/3 water) and find that makes sewing bias pieces easy.

MFord 07-31-2014 06:53 PM

This is another one of those projects where I'm sewing like mad to meet someone else's deadline. I forgot all about squaring as you go along! So, I just fixed one bad seam and will just keep squaring as best I can. I'm going to try not to get into these classes anymore! Just the easy ones.

Nammie to 7 07-31-2014 06:56 PM

I usually don't see the need to square the blocks. I try to sew with a consistent seam allowance. So far (knock on wood) my quilts have gone together well and I haven't had an issue!

Rhondalynn 07-31-2014 07:55 PM

I always square up my blocks as I sew them. I also square up the top. I have learned that taking that extra time saves a lot of trouble in the long run. I will take apart a block and resew it if I can't square it up without cutting off points. Sometimes you can "ease" in a longer seam a little, but you don't want puckers.