Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Squaring up a quilt top???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/squaring-up-quilt-top-t286415.html)

SharonTheriault 02-26-2017 01:10 PM

Squaring up a quilt top????

Just finished the inner part of "Standing Tall" with all it's pieced strips. It's not square! I don't know how to square it up. I've already trimmed the top edge thinking that would do it because those strips ended up uneven. Folded it top to bottom and there is 1 1/2" difference. When I trimmed the top, I used my 24" ruler and the edges of the fabric strips, not the seams, to trim it. The bottom edge was even... I thought. After all that's where I started pinning the strips, thinking that if that edge was even, I could square from it. Nope. Help!

Sandra in Minnesota 02-26-2017 03:24 PM

There is a tutorial for that. I think Jenny Doan at Missouri Star Quilt Co. has one, or just put in "squaring up a quilt" and see what you get. I used to have one bookmarked and lost it.

NJ Quilter 02-26-2017 07:17 PM

I'm not familiar with this pattern but I would suggest using your seams to square up. If your strips are not sewn evenly, you're going to have issues. I think most of us have a tendency to have the ends of long strips wander a bit and this might be what's throwing you off?? Could you fold in half in the center; use some pins up/down through your seams to make sure they are straight? That might get you to straight edges on both ends?

quiltedsunshine 02-26-2017 07:53 PM

This may sound crazy, but you know how we used to stretch a piece of fabric to get it back "on grain?' You might try that. Have one person on one corner of the quilt, and another person on the opposite corner, and give it a tug. Sometimes when a quilt block is wonky, I'll do the same thing, and it works. Fabric is flexible, and can work with the law of displacement.

Tartan 02-26-2017 08:23 PM

I am not familiar with that pattern but I always start squaring up using my 15 inch square in one corner. I them I line up all my long rulers on the squares edge to go the length of one side. I mark all the sides with chalk to see how they look before cutting.

sylviasmom 02-28-2017 09:01 AM

Press first. Each and every seam, then turn it over and press again. I use my dining table and large cutting mat. Start at the upper right corner. If you have a large square ruler, square the corner and then use your 24" ruler to trim the edges, if needed. Invariably, if each block is square you will have very few problems squaring the finished top. Also the binding can hide a multiple "sins". My are usually in the corners.

MadQuilter 02-28-2017 12:33 PM

When you say the "inner part" does that mean the center without borders? If so, I would measure across the MIDDLE of the center and cut your (2) side borders to THAT exact dimension. Then ease in the fullness over the border distance. Repeat for the other direction. By the time your top is done, you should be much closer to squared.

wildyard 02-28-2017 02:45 PM

I agree to trying to pull the top into square first. It is a technique that can be surprisingly effective. I find folding the top to see if it's square is rarely accurate as there are seams and bulk that will throw it off. If you are going to look for square by folding, do use the pins to secure your seams so they don't move and give a false reading.

I find laying the top flat and measuring it, as Mad Quilter suggested, to be the most effective way.

SharonTheriault 03-01-2017 03:32 PM

got it almost square. the slight bit it's off now and after one border, Has it looking pretty good. I figured if I kept trying to get it completely square, I'd end up with a baby quilt, so I quit. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. What a great place to find help!

117becca 03-01-2017 04:59 PM

I tried to google that quilt name and nothing that I could make heads or tails of came up.

I am glad you are making progress in getting a good result. i have to be honest, reading there is an inch and half difference is a big difference and makes me think more of what could have been done better in the construction part. To continue to cut off makes me wonder if things will go together well down the road. So be careful!

It is so important to cut and sew accurately..

can't wait to see the final project.