Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stabilizer for ties? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stabilizer-ties-t214829.html)

Belfrybat 02-25-2013 08:26 AM

Stabilizer for ties?

A friend has asked me to make a quilt using her deceased husband's ties. They are a mixture of 100% silk and 100% polyester and one acetate. I'm doing a Dresden Plate motif using the larger ends. I've deconstructed them and need an iron on stabilizer before I start cutting and piecing. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best kind that uses low heat to fuse? It has been many years since I needed fusible interfacing, so I don't know which to purchase.

RedGarnet222 02-25-2013 08:31 AM

I think I would go with a Pellon light weight fusable made for knits. That way it will stay soft enough for a quilt and not add too much bulk.

PaperPrincess 02-25-2013 08:53 AM

I am making a quilt from silk shirts and I'm using Mistyfuse, which was recommended by board members. Fuses at a low enough temp for silk and doesn't change the hand.

Scissor Queen 02-25-2013 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5887298)
I am making a quilt from silk shirts and I'm using Mistyfuse, which was recommended by board members. Fuses at a low enough temp for silk and doesn't change the hand.

Misty fuse is a fusible web, not an interfacing. I'd go to a decent fabric store and see what they have on the shelf and read every single label to find the right one.

Lilrain 02-26-2013 12:59 AM

I would check out different light weight fusible interfacings. You need to stabilize but not stiffen too much

ckcowl 02-26-2013 03:23 AM

tricot or a lightweight woven interfacing- they are generally fairly inexpensive- use a pressing cloth- available at most (fabric/sewing stores) like joannes.

patchsamkim 02-26-2013 04:07 AM

I would check the featherweight interfacing...ask the clerks, read the labels...and report back what works.

SmickChick 02-26-2013 05:51 AM

I have dismantled hundreds of ties. I've used the lightest weight Pellon, however, I have found that a very heavy starch....the blue liquid Sta-flo diluted only like 1:1 gives a wonderful stiffness--and is cheaper! Of course the quilt should be washed so the starch is removed after construction.

Belfrybat 02-26-2013 06:45 AM

Thank you all for your ideas--please keep them coming. I'm over 150 miles from the closest fabric store other than a Walmart which is why I asked on here. Anything I purchase will need to be ordered. My concern is I can't use high heat to fuse the stabilizer, and most of the descriptions I've read do not provide the heat setting used. I did use a pressing cloth to press most of the folds out of the deconstructed ties since my iron doesn't even provide steam at the poly/silk temps.
I hadn't thought of using starch. All I can find locally is the spray, but it is heavy starch. Do you think two applications might work?

Geri B 02-26-2013 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by SmickChick (Post 5889357)
I have dismantled hundreds of ties. I've used the lightest weight Pellon, however, I have found that a very heavy starch....the blue liquid Sta-flo diluted only like 1:1 gives a wonderful stiffness--and is cheaper! Of course the quilt should be washed so the starch is removed after construction.

when you finish and was to remove that starch, doesn't that effect the silk tie/poly-silk combo tie/and the probably cotton of background fabric? I am planning on making a few from my deceased husband, but was going to just disassemble, use a non woven interfacing and machine applique to background. I do not want to have to wash after construction of same.....these will be wallhanging to be distributed to family members........