Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stacks 3 pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stacks-3-pattern-t265406.html)

FURBALLS 05-20-2015 07:05 AM

Stacks 3 pattern

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone made this pattern, Stacks 3 whirligig design? I started to cut the fabric yesterday. I am now wondering if I may have gotten in over my head.:rolleyes: Just wondering if it is difficult or am I just being paranoid as it is really out of my comfort zone. Have had the pattern for awhile and am trying to get things made that have been stored in the to do pattern box for awhile. I think this will take me some time to get done. I know that this pattern is a tumble block, which I have never done. Here is a pic of the pattern front.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]520169[/ATTACH]

jclinganrey 05-20-2015 07:27 AM

I have something very similar by Marci Baker. I think if you pay attention to your color placement you'll be fine. I think the rows are sewn vertically, right?? If so, I hope you have some kind of design wall so you can really see what you're doing.

You can do it!! We all need to challenge ourselves from time to time.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

ManiacQuilter2 05-20-2015 09:31 AM

You have a lot more courage than I do. Being disable, I try to avoid complicated patterns. I do wish you good luck at getting this quilt top done.

needles3thread 05-20-2015 10:45 AM

If others have done, you can too. Just take your time & pay attention to instructions.

shy 05-22-2015 05:20 AM

It is a really great pattern..
U can do it..just don't push ur self ..if it become a problem before u get a good start..u may give it up..patients and time..u can do it..

maviskw 05-22-2015 05:45 AM

This is the same technique I used in my "Blue Ribbon Quilt" which I posted in April. It is NOT HARD. The most important part is fabric placement. The sewing together usually requires Y seams, but I did not do that.

tinliz 05-22-2015 07:54 AM

I took a class on the One Block Wonder. We learned to do the cubed blocks. I never did make the quilt. But I learned that you need the 60 degree ruler your pattern suggests. Some have the points cut off and some do not. Marcie Baker explains this on her website. Value choices are vital for the 3 dimensional effect. A design wall where you lay out the blocks in rows is extremely helpful. Accuracy in cutting and seam allowance are key to good outcome. A quilt with stacked cubes is still on my bucket list, but there are many before it. I am currently hooked on feathered stars and mini quilts.

Quilt Fan 05-22-2015 08:33 AM

You can do that. One step at a time. Any thing new seems a challenge but when you make a few blocks and see how they go together you will be surprised. I made the One Block Wonder quilt and did a couple of these as sample blocks.

carolynjo 05-22-2015 03:12 PM

Sarah Nephew offered patterns like that many years ago and she actually produced a book which you might be able to find.

Billy'swife 05-22-2015 09:25 PM

You can do this......don't sell yourself short. You will feel empowered when you accomplish something you had doubts about. Just take it step by step and you will love the finished quilt!