Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   stamped marking on vintage quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stamped-marking-vintage-quilt-t271305.html)

grammatjr 10-21-2015 08:27 AM

stamped marking on vintage quilt

3 Attachment(s)
A friend has asked if I can finish a quilt begun by a grandma, who is now deceased. Not sure how long ago grandma died, so don't know how long the quilt has been sitting around.

She used pre-stamped quilt block panels and cross stitched and embroidered over.
Two problems: 1- she didn't stay on the lines always, 2- she didn't cut the blocks correctly, so info that should have been within the seam is visible. See pic.

I tried a simple wetting down of a small spot to see if it would come out, and it didn't seem to effect it. So, if I am completely unable to get the blue marks out, I am hoping perhaps I may get some suggestions how to best finish it.

Since it is unfinished, I cannot soak the parts that are pre-stamped, to see if more water would dissolve it or not.
But, assuming the blue doesn't come out, I think I would need to add another layer of sashing around the blocks to hide that. But, what color as she already has pink, burgundy and light blue borders? And what about the other places that the blue shows (mid block or border)?

As you can tell, it is a beautiful quilt, and it would be wonderful for them to have grandma's last quilt finished!

PaperPrincess 10-21-2015 08:34 AM

I'm probably going to be in the minority, but I think the print sort of adds a bit of whimsical charm. If it comes out in the final washing, then great, but if it doesn't its reflective of grandma's work.

grammatjr 10-21-2015 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7351616)
I'm probably going to be in the minority, but I think the print sort of adds a bit of whimsical charm. If it comes out in the final washing, then great, but if it doesn't its reflective of grandma's work.

I had though to that too, I didn't want to rip out anything she did, just complete it. But, I also don't want to "point out" that there are errors. Hmmmm.........

ManiacQuilter2 10-21-2015 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7351616)

My thought too. I would not worry. Just try to the best with what you have been given.

nativetexan 10-21-2015 08:51 AM

I have some very old blocks I've never done and wondered about the blue markings. On her quilt, I'd leave them if they are difficult to get out. I did read here about some product called Restore , i believe. Might look into that.

Tartan 10-21-2015 08:54 AM

On some of the old stamped cross stitch quilts the marks are permanent, sorry.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 10-21-2015 08:57 AM

You didn't state how old you think the squares are but back in late forties and early fifties I did embroidered pillow cases etc. Used them within the family and I don't have any recollection of the blue staying after a couple of washings. That being said I'd leave them for charm as suggested earlier or add sashing to cover. Either one creates a save and preserves the quilt and your friend's treasure and memories of her grandmother. They have already kept it all this time. My money is on it washing out once finished because the early fifties was when they first came out with the laundry markers that faded over time. Permanent markers came along a bit later.

krafty14 10-21-2015 10:21 AM

Grandma didn't seem too worried about the blue lines showing, so I'd just finish it and, as they said, if the blue comes out - great, if not - also great. Grandma will be happy it is finished!!

NikkiLu 10-21-2015 11:26 AM

The old blue stamping marks on my dear beloved Aunt's cross stitched quilt has never washed out - been washed dozens of times. I have never bleached it though - so don't know how that would work. She actually did a wonderful job on it but the X's behind the embroidery thread is still visible - yellow thread.

Sandra in Minnesota 10-21-2015 11:33 AM

I would try to leave it as she made it. Grandma wasn't perfect either. What a wonderful remembrance and the quilt is beautiful with all that hand embroidery!