Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Standing OR Laying Down? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/standing-laying-down-t206476.html)

vondae 11-19-2012 09:09 PM

Standing OR Laying Down?

We just recently moved & have finished most of the remodeling to our home. So, I can finally begin to set up my new sewing room. SOOOOO, my question is, how do you store your fabric? Do you lay it down or stand it up? I have mine on the boards and was wondering which way takes up less space. To some of you I'm sure this sounds like a stupid or trivial question, but, since I have mine standing up I was wondering if laying them down would use less space. I'm running out of space & still have quite a bit more fabric to find space for. I really don't have room for any for bookcases, etc. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have, except getting rid of my fabric. I couldn't bear to part with it until it's made into quilts. Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!

barbgooch 11-19-2012 09:17 PM

I fold my fabric pieces that are larger than 1/2 yard around my 6 inch wide ruler, pull the ruller out, then fold them in half. Then I stack them on top of each other with the fold side showing. Takes up less space yet I can still see the fabric. I store them in those vinyl covered wire boxes that you can stack in several formats. They are 14 inches square, so I can get two large stacks in nicely.

Charming 11-19-2012 09:23 PM

It really all depends on the shelves or the space you are using for the fabric. If you are limited of shelves then with laying down you can stack a lot more fabric than standing but then you just take more time pulling out fabric when choosing and making a bigger mess. I bought shelves from a closing borders book store and have a lot of shelves but. Still use both methods for storing my fabric depending if I have them in bolts or folded or on boards.
Good luck and happy quilting

Scissor Queen 11-19-2012 09:25 PM

I grew to hate stacks of fabric. I don't care how it's folded, it's still a stack of fabric. It seemed like every time I wanted a fabric it was on the bottom and the stacks would end up huge messes. I love having my fabric upright on shelves. I can pull one or two out and put them back without having to restack it. The shelves are always neat now.

auntpiggylpn 11-20-2012 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5668747)
I grew to hate stacks of fabric. I don't care how it's folded, it's still a stack of fabric. It seemed like every time I wanted a fabric it was on the bottom and the stacks would end up huge messes. I love having my fabric upright on shelves. I can pull one or two out and put them back without having to restack it. The shelves are always neat now.

I agree with this! Everytime I would pull out a fabric, the stack would get all wicky jawed (haven't said that term in a long time!) and then I would have to pull all the fabrics out and re stack them. I really like the look of the fabrics wrapped on boards (I used foam core cut to size) and lined up on shelves. My friend says it looks like I have a mini quilt shop in my sewing room!

sandy l 11-20-2012 04:18 AM

I use both methods. Anything over a yard is wrapped on boards, less than that is folded and stacked, then when less than a fat quarter, stored in drawers until I need or can get to it to cut into strips, sqs, etc.

chips88 11-20-2012 04:37 AM

i like my fabric standing. much easier to get to.. :thumbup:

romanojg 11-20-2012 04:58 AM

I stack mine. I have tall bookcases that I had extra shelves cut at home depot for so that the stacks of fabric aren't stacked too high and its easier to keep them organizied by color/design. Before I put in extra shelves I agree it was a pain to have to get fabric out of the middle or bottom of the stack. Now that the stacks aren't as tall, it's a breeze. I would not be able to store the same amount of fabric standing up or on boards. I also played with the folding until I came up with a fold that is the same depth of my shelves and saves space at the same time. I don't like my fabric in totes because I forget what I have and buy more. This has saved me so much money because I can work from my stash instead of increasing it with extra purchases.

QuiltnNan 11-20-2012 05:09 AM

i flat fold on my ruler and store flat. i don't have the room to store it any other way.

pollyjvan9 11-20-2012 05:41 AM

Like QuiltnNan I have to much fabric to in any manner except lying down. I fold around a ruler and stack by color.