Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stapler vs basting "gun" or safety pins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stapler-vs-basting-%22gun%22-safety-pins-t44600.html)

kaykid815 05-01-2010 08:29 PM

The lady that quilted my last quilt said she staples the top, batting and backing together with a regular stapler...just opens it up and staples all layers. Using safety pins makes my fingers SO sore, and the basting gun allows too much "give" in the layers, so this would be something i would consider.. Has anyone ever tried this? I would think it would destroy a table top real quickly.

LindaM 05-01-2010 08:32 PM

I'm shuddering at the thought of stapling the quilt sandwich - staples are a fair bit thicker than pins, and I always make a mess taking them out of paper ... can't imagine working around them while quilting.

Try fabric basting spray!

craftybear 05-01-2010 08:42 PM

never heard of that, but I wouldn't want to do it, use safety pins

Craftybear

Originally Posted by kaykid815
The lady that quilted my last quilt said she staples the top, batting and backing together with a regular stapler...just opens it up and staples all layers. Using safety pins makes my fingers SO sore, and the basting gun allows too much "give" in the layers, so this would be something i would consider.. Has anyone ever tried this? I would think it would destroy a table top real quickly.

quilt queen 2 05-01-2010 08:47 PM

There is a little gizzmo called aKwik Klip all you do is put in the pin and this little tool closes then saves a lot of sore fingers you can get them at most quilt shops fr about 10 dollars (Canadian)

amma 05-01-2010 10:09 PM

I would be afraid of rust... and I have stapled clothing in a crisis, and had it pull threads when I went to remove them... the ends are not smooth and pointed like pins.

Janetlmt 05-02-2010 01:44 AM

I think Basting spray is the best bet..no staples..they are to hard to remove and could rust or damage the fabric

Holice 05-02-2010 04:37 AM

staples? Everyone has their preferred way. However, I would never consider staples - rust, pumching holes in the quilt and making bigger holes when taking them out.....so I wouod never, never, never consider this unless on the very edge and that is even questionable.

Oklahoma Suzie 05-02-2010 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by quilt queen
There is a little gizzmo called aKwik Klip all you do is put in the pin and this little tool closes then saves a lot of sore fingers you can get them at most quilt shops fr about 10 dollars (Canadian)

great gizzmo, sure does save on your fingers.

Borntohandquilt 05-02-2010 11:39 AM

I've never heard about that - I use cotton basting thread and that works absolutely fine for me. Nothing disturbs when I use my quilting hoop!

wvdek 05-02-2010 11:54 AM

Me too shuddering at the though tof staples. Yikes it would hurt if you missed a couple.

I too use the curved safety pins and about two months ago purchased the Kwik Klip and love it. Got mine through Quilt In a Day store on sale.