Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Star blocks, easy, fast! Help please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/star-blocks-easy-fast-help-please-t274762.html)

sewbizgirl 01-22-2016 06:48 AM

What state do you live in that outlaws raffles????? Sheesh, talk about government intrusion!

If you can do half square triangles, you can always do a simple Friendship Star. It's the easiest star, I would think.

maryellen2u 01-22-2016 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=Jan in VA;7439921]Here you go. This graphic is for a 12" block but you can adjust it.

Thank you, Jan! I just love it when you answer one of these queries. I always learn something from you and you have the ability to make it so short, sweet and simple. I wish I lived close to you. I would be at your house all the time learning and quilting!

Charleen DiSante 01-23-2016 05:35 AM

Jan inVA, I really like the simplicity of the block you suggested. Makes a nice sort of floating star.

Kassaundra 01-23-2016 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7441569)
What state do you live in that outlaws raffles????? Sheesh, talk about government intrusion!

If you can do half square triangles, you can always do a simple Friendship Star. It's the easiest star, I would think.

They are illegal in Oklahoma

Jan in VA 01-23-2016 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=maryellen2u;7442401]

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7439921)
Here you go. This graphic is for a 12" block but you can adjust it.

Thank you, Jan! I just love it when you answer one of these queries. I always learn something from you and you have the ability to make it so short, sweet and simple. I wish I lived close to you. I would be at your house all the time learning and quilting!

Why, thank you, Sweetie, I wish you lived near me, too! You come visit any time, okay? :)

karenpatrick 01-23-2016 09:50 AM

I just made a whole lot 6th star blocks for a 30 reproduction quilt I am working on.. They start with a 4 1/2 inch unfinished square. Then there are 4 1/2 inch flying geese on the 4 sides with 2 1/2 squares in the corners. It makes an 8" finished star block. Hope this helps.

fabrication 01-23-2016 10:03 AM

Stars

Originally Posted by linda8450 (Post 7439687)
Our guild has given us fat quarters to make squares for our Opportunity (raffles are against state laws) Quilt for next quilt show. Only directions are 10 1/2" unfinished, any star pattern we like. I usually make "art" quilts, don't use patterns and am stumped as to how to alter sizes, etc. I have googled, but not sure I am up to doing all those angles! It has to be pieced (paper piecing is ok) not embroidered or appliqued. Any go-to favorite EASY star patterns that would incorporate several colors? No complicated designs, I am not that proficient! Thanks in advance, Linda

Remember most of the time you are sewing smaller pieces together and making shapes with straight edges, so the points are not quite so intimidating. Since you are only doing one block you might want to consider hand sewing the block. It gives a little more flexibility in manipulating your fabric. Just remember to relax and have fun.

linda8450 01-24-2016 09:13 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful responses!! I think I am going to try the Z star from quiltville, that is an awesome site! I had no idea where to start, google just didn't get me there. I don't know how easy this one is, but I like that it is more than 2 colors and it isn't paper pieced (I haven't ever done that). I do want to try pp one day, but not sure I want to master it right now on this project. Thanks again folks, I am so very grateful for all the help!