Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Star centers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/star-centers-t188099.html)

Mimmis57 05-05-2012 05:38 AM

Star centers

I need some help. I want to make a pp star block but there are 10 units coming together in the center. How can I piece it so I don't end up with bulk in the middle causing a big bump? I've tried a few times but I can never get the center to lie nice & flat. Thank you all.

Tartan 05-05-2012 05:59 AM

In a case like that, I press all my seams open rather than to one side. With that many seams coming together I can see you having trouble and even pressing open may not help much. That sounds like a difficult pattern to lay flat with regular piecing and I think even harder because it's PP. Good luck and maybe someone will have a better solution for you.

DogHouseMom 05-05-2012 07:02 AM

first ... consider trimming the seams to 1/8" and even "layering" so that the fabric on bottom (after it's ironed to one side) is trimmed closer than the fabric that lays on the top. This will allow the top fabric to layer over the bottom and lay flatter.

Do they come together in a point, like a Lone Star? If so, I iron all my seams in the same direction so when they meet in the center - they "fan out" and around in a spiral. There is some bulk - no avoiding that, but it's lessened.

GrannieAnnie 05-05-2012 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mimmis57 (Post 5195178)
I need some help. I want to make a pp star block but there are 10 units coming together in the center. How can I piece it so I don't end up with bulk in the middle causing a big bump? I've tried a few times but I can never get the center to lie nice & flat. Thank you all.

A trick I learned here that helps a lot is to use a meat tenderizer mallet (and cutting board) to pound down the points where pieces join. Doesn't reduce the amount of fabric, but it does make the joint much smoother.

janRN 05-05-2012 07:59 AM

I'm pp the Farmer's Wife Pony Club Quilt. I've found when I have all those points coming together, it's easier if I remove the paper just in the seam allowances. I've still got all the other paper on and can use that as reference points. I don't pin; I use those small red binding clamps (pins seem to distort the seam) to hold it together. I also press all my seams open and have trimmed some down to 1/8". Are they perfect? Nah--but this seems to help them lay flatter and meet at the center. Good luck!

Farm Quilter 05-05-2012 08:26 AM

I'm with GrannieAnnie, except I use a regular hammer and sometimes spraying with starch, pounding while wet then pressing firmly helps. I do longarm quilting and know that those huge lumps can deflect the needle and mess up the quilting. I've even pounded some of my customers' quilts into submission before quilting them!!!

LyndaOH 05-05-2012 08:34 AM

I use the hammer method too and I've found that using some Mary Ellen's Best Press really helps. It will flatten any seam!

QM 05-05-2012 08:44 AM

Sometimes I take the coward's way and cut out the center, covering it with a yoyo. Otherwise, I trim, starch, press, etc. I generally use a wallpaper hangers seam roller as I go along to ,hand press befoe I get to the final seams.

woody 05-05-2012 03:35 PM

Have a look at this free pattern Florigia
http://www.anthologyfabrics.com/pages.php?pageid=6

If you scroll down to the contruction of the star, they have an interesting method of reducing the bulk. Not sure if it would work in your case but worth having a look at.
I'm hopeless at trying to explain things, I would just confuse you all LOL

GrannieAnnie 05-07-2012 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter (Post 5195594)
I'm with GrannieAnnie, except I use a regular hammer and sometimes spraying with starch, pounding while wet then pressing firmly helps. I do longarm quilting and know that those huge lumps can deflect the needle and mess up the quilting. I've even pounded some of my customers' quilts into submission before quilting them!!!

the meat tenderizer is best for me because it's clean. I'd hate to think where all my hammer's been. But the pounding is sort of a stress reliever-----------by that time, I usually need to POUND something.