Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Star Quilting Thread?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/star-quilting-thread-t274532.html)

KenmoreGal2 01-15-2016 12:09 PM

I think I went beyond the outer layers. I FMQ'd a 4x5 inch sandwich. I can't tell if it's waxed as some have asked. It unspools almost like fishing line if you can picture that. Very stiff. I thought it made nice stitches, they were very prominent since the thread is a bit thicker. But I don't want to cause problems for myself if this is not a good idea.

I did google around for reviews of this thread before posting here but as MadQuilter alluded to, the stuff for sale looks totally different from mine so I wasn't sure if it was the same thing. Googling for vintage Star thread just brings up items for sale.

I think I'll take a picture of the thread unspooled so maybe you guys can get ideas. I do worry that it's hand quilting thread.

KenmoreGal2 01-15-2016 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture. Hopefully you can see the thread. You can see that it retains it's round "spool like" shape even when it's unraveled. That's how I thought it resembled fishing line.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540216[/ATTACH]

I looked and all 5 spools are full so if it's usable, I'd like to use it. On the other hand, if I should not be using it, I should get it into someone else's hands.

pocoellie 01-16-2016 11:06 AM

It looks like it might be hand quilting thread.

KenmoreGal2 01-16-2016 11:11 AM

Thanks! I have a friend who hand quilts. I'll try to catch up with her in person and ask her what she thinks. If it's hand quilting thread, it's hers!!

Farm Quilter 01-16-2016 07:11 PM

I use Star Quilting Thread, 30 WT, for machine applique and it worked well. On my longarm, I have used 20 WT to 60 WT, with no problem. You just need to use a needle with a larger eye for the thicker weights (20 and 30) or they will fray and break from the friction. You should have no problem using it on your machine.

quiltingshorttimer 01-16-2016 08:47 PM

If there is not a financial reason to use this thread, I would save it because we no longer see wooden spools--not much longer and it will be an antique! And if it's that old (early 80's?? does anyone remember when wooden spools stopped being used??) then I wouldn't want to risk it in my quilts--unless your fabric is about the same age, it would be a quilt made with 25yr old thread in newer fabric. Plus you don't like the way it feels/works.

DOTTYMO 01-17-2016 12:29 AM

Speaking from experience the other day. My friend bought an old singer to be repaired. She had attached two very old wooden spools of thread. As I was trying to make the machine sew these threads frayed, shredded and broke. Eventually got the machine working, all settings were wrong and the needle not in the machine correctly. She had lent it to a non sewer who obviously fiddled. I would definitely through or keep for display but not use an old thread.

Macybaby 01-17-2016 04:41 AM

I've got a box of hand quilting thread, but mine probably about 35 years old. I have that brand, but it clearly says "Hand Quilting" on it. It's also a plastic spool

This was mostly from my Mom, some I acquired buying boxes of sewing stuff at garage sales. I won't be doing any hand quilting, and it sounds like it should not be used for anything else.

I have a lot of vintage thread on wooden spools, and most of it is rather easy to break. Putting that on a rack for display would be a neat idea. Most of that came in sewing cabinets and stools.

Jingle 01-18-2016 06:09 AM

You could always use it to sew on the bindings by hand. I might use it with a larger needle.

JoyjoyMarie 01-19-2016 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7434564)
I keep my hand quilting thread separate from my other threads. I don't have much of it but don't want it mixed up with my machine threads.

I found this out- the hard way!!