Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starch. Is it all equal? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starch-all-equal-t251378.html)

Kwiltr 08-05-2014 06:59 AM

Starch. Is it all equal?

Originally Posted by SewingGB (Post 6832294)
I took a class and the instructor said why pay all that money for Mary Ellen's best press when regular spray starch way cheaper and works great!

I've seen several discussions about 'starch' on this forum and have been wondering...do you all consider Mary Ellen's Best Press equal to the grocery store starch lineup starches? To me Mary Ellen's is pretty light weight compared to the rest. I just want to understand if we are all talking about the same thing when referring to starch. I've used both myself, as far as stabilizing fabric, the grocery store stuff out performs Mary Ellen's but I still like to use it to help get the wrinkles out. Opinions?

tessagin 08-05-2014 07:06 AM

It's your quilt. Some don't mind mixing their own stiffness of starch. Sometimes it is just nice to have something on hand quick. I don't think so much as (and I maybe wrong)opinion but preference. When people start throwing opinions into preference I just wish they would do so gently. If one really really has to pinch pennies but likes the "Best Press" even they will dilute with water. Depends on my mood.

Prism99 08-05-2014 07:10 AM

Mary Ellen's is not starch; it is advertised as a "starch alternative". It is similar to fabric sizing (which is available in spray cans), which is typically used to add just a little stiffening to collars and cuffs. Fabric sizing is man-made from chemicals.

Starch is made from organic sources -- corn, rice, potatoes, etc., usually with a small amount of chemicals added to keep it from getting moldy. Starch varies in strength. Spray starch in cans is on the light side of what you can do with starch. You can mix water with a commercial liquid starch such as Sta-Flo and create different strengths. I like a 1:1 solution for stiffening quilt backings before layering (a strength that would make a shirt unwearable for many people!).

For getting wrinkles out and adding just a hint of stiffening, fabric sizing (including Mary Ellen's) is good. For stabilizing fabric so it does not stretch or distort from handling, starch is much better.

Edit: There are many homemade recipes for starch online. It is inexpensive to make, but I find it is also cost-effective to use Sta-Flo diluted with water. There are also homemade recipes online for Mary Ellen's Best Press.

Quilt30 08-05-2014 07:13 AM

Mary Ellen is a totally different composition than starch. I don't believe it can really be compared with the grocery store starch. Also, many mix their own substitute for ME and get about the same results.

quiltingcandy 08-05-2014 07:14 AM

Personally I like Best Press because I don't use much starch and to mix my own wouldn't be worth it. It's nice to just have it handy. But I did use the spray for years because that is how long one can will last me.

Kwiltr 08-05-2014 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6833058)
Mary Ellen's is not starch; it is advertised as a "starch alternative". It is similar to fabric sizing (which is available in spray cans), which is typically used to add just a little stiffening to collars and cuffs. Fabric sizing is man-made from chemicals.

Starch is made from organic sources -- corn, rice, potatoes, etc., usually with a small amount of chemicals added to keep it from getting moldy. Starch varies in strength. Spray starch in cans is on the light side of what you can do with starch. You can mix water with a commercial liquid starch such as Sta-Flo and create different strengths. I like a 1:1 solution for stiffening quilt backings before layering (a strength that would make a shirt unwearable for many people!).

For getting wrinkles out and adding just a hint of stiffening, fabric sizing (including Mary Ellen's) is good. For stabilizing fabric so it does not stretch or distort from handling, starch is much better.

Edit: There are many homemade recipes for starch online. It is inexpensive to make, but I find it is also cost-effective to use Sta-Flo diluted with water. There are also homemade recipes online for Mary Ellen's Best Press.

This is is an excellent explanation! Thank you! I am pretty new to incorporating starch and Mary Ellen's into my quilting practices, noticed the difference in results, and use them according to what I'm wanting to achieve. I was just finding it a bit confusing and felt the need to raise the question and wondered if I was the only one. Thanks for the clarification!

Sewnoma 08-05-2014 07:28 AM

I know starch can attract bugs, so unless I know it's something I will be washing pretty soon I prefer to use Best Press for general pressing.

I tend to work on several projects at once so some sit in the cupboard half-done for a long time, and I don't want critters in my cabinets!

maggie_1936 08-05-2014 08:01 AM

I keep a spray can handy but prefer to mix my own argo liquid

joe'smom 08-05-2014 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 6833080)
I know starch can attract bugs, so unless I know it's something I will be washing pretty soon I prefer to use Best Press for general pressing.

I tend to work on several projects at once so some sit in the cupboard half-done for a long time, and I don't want critters in my cabinets!

This is also the reason I've avoided using starch.

quiltstringz 08-05-2014 09:13 AM

I use starch all the time and don't usually wash right away and have never had any bugs. I am in No TX but some other areas may be buggiery (I know that isn't really a word) so you may have to take that into consideration. I don't starch until I am ready to start cutting but as you know the piecing doesn't always happen right away - still no problems with UFOs