Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starch! First and last time user (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starch-first-last-time-user-t243355.html)

IQ2 03-17-2014 05:13 AM

I find that I have to use a cooler iron when I use Best Press. Several times I have scorched white fabric after spraying with Best Press. Has anyone else experienced that?

jkaczor19 03-17-2014 05:19 AM

I put my iron on the cotton level (it is level 6 out of 7 on my iron) when I use best press. I love that stuff, buy it by the gallon on amazon. I've never had it flake.

judith ann 03-17-2014 05:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467612[/ATTACH]This is what I use. I like that it is not an aerosol. I have never had any problems and it makes everything lay so nice. Pressing HST blocks (or any blocks)with this before cutting give a better cut. I had a hard time finding it again in our local stores so I ordered it on line. Cost about $5.50 a bottle. Cheaper than Best press and I like the lavender/lemon scent.

Lori S 03-17-2014 05:42 AM

I am a starcher from way back! Let the starch absorb into the fabric before you iron/press. If you iron too soon after spraying the starch is just resting on the surface and hence the flakes. Give it another try !

pocoellie 03-17-2014 05:53 AM

when your iron gets all gunky, it's because when you ironing instead of ironing the fabric, you were ironing the starch. I starch every piece of fabric I'm going to work with, at least 2 hours ahead of the time, throw it in a plastic bag, and let it sit, then I'll take it out, either line dry or throw in the dryer for a few minutes, then iron, have never had a problem with the iron getting all gunky then, I do spray mist with water since I don't use the steam on my iron.

cizzors 03-17-2014 05:57 AM

I just don't understand some quilters not liking starch because of the flakes. It washes out just like cat and dog hair, bits of fabric and thread and everyday lint. Unless their rooms are totally spotless.

ManiacQuilter2 03-17-2014 06:13 AM

I starch the block before trimming it down so it won't shift on me. Never had any flaking but I do worry about the residue collecting on my ironing board. How often do you need to clean the sole plate of your iron?? Just curious. Please PM me if you have any advice !! THANKS :)

Onebyone 03-17-2014 06:41 AM

Odd you don't know about the white flecks from starching and ironing clothes.

I use a lot of heavy starch before cutting fabric. I want my fabric like paper when cutting and sewing small pieces.

jlm5419 03-17-2014 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 6630651)
im a HUGE starch-er.. I spray.. fold fab in half, lightly smooth with my hand, open and press.... sometimes i need a heavier dose.. ill saturate then walk off to go get a drink a few min later im good to go..I never spray then press. Hot iron turns those drops to a big flaky mess.. but if the flakes happen they wash out in the wash..

This is how I do it to avoid the flakes.

DOTTYMO 03-17-2014 07:50 AM

I relay sometimes and found it was better to lightly spray leave and hand stroke before ironing always on the back.