Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starch! First and last time user (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starch-first-last-time-user-t243355.html)

redbreast 03-19-2014 05:50 AM

If you get Best Press at the store when there are coupons, it is not that expensive and I think much easier to use then regular starch.

KwiltyKahy 03-19-2014 05:57 AM

I have been told that if you iron the fabric first to warm it, the flaking won't happen.

ghostrider 03-19-2014 06:06 AM

Starch is in the same category as pre-washing, one of those personal fabric prep choices that each quilter decides for him/herself. I always pre-wash and I never starch, my choice entirely. In over 40 years of quilting, I've never once run into a situation where something would have worked better, or been easier, with stiff fabric.

If starching works for you, by all means use it. But if it doesn't, it's certainly not a necessary part of the quilt making process...not for bias edges, not for circles, not for appliqué, not for anything. The choice is yours alone.

beaglelady 03-19-2014 06:41 AM

Count me in as a starcher. I use Best Press. :thumbup:

Purpleprint 03-19-2014 06:49 AM

Starch makes my fabrics too stiff, and I am allergic to it. I now use corn starch, works well and easy to adjust how much you use.

misseva 03-19-2014 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 6631147)
Regarding the buildup on your ironing surface. I have a muslin piece that is just for starching. I lay it over the ironing surface before doing any starching. BTW: I'm a starcher (is that a word?) from way back when my Grandma taught me how to quilt with little pieces. She was way ahead of her time. :)

You can use a length of freezer paper too - just iron it shine side down so it sticks to ironing board. Use it till it's gunky then just pull off & toss. Years & years ago, when everything was starched (think it was b/4 spray) I never had a problem with flaking. Everything was submerged in home made starch, then line dried, sprinkled, rolled up in a sheet to set a while before ironing.

Jingle 03-19-2014 12:26 PM

I used starch years ago. I stopped because I hate the mess it made on my iron and Ironing board cover.
I only use water in a spray bottle.

jbaby 03-19-2014 04:32 PM

Love best press, buy it by the gallon. Yes, it's expensive, but I like the results and the lovely fragrances are like aromatherapy in my quilting room.

caspharm 03-19-2014 05:31 PM

I use Best Press or Best Press/Water, when I need a little extra something besides just water. The Best Press/Water combo is mainly when I load backs onto my LA.

My time 03-19-2014 06:47 PM

Is this common knowledge regarding starching? I didn't know about spraying your fabric and letting it sit! Didn't know about the flaking situation either. I guess it's because I can't stand the smell of the stuff. So I always spray my fabric outside. Then I bring the fabric in, set up my ironing board and iron. Guess I must kind of slow!! No flaking.