Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starch-t101634.html)

msawicki64 02-21-2011 04:44 AM

I'm putting together my first bed quilt for my daughter. The top layer borders and sashes are material that's very clingy so when I lay it over the batting it clings and is very hard to smooth out plus it's a bit wringled. So I was thinking of spaying starch on it and ironing it so it's a bit stiffer and not wringled. Question is, is there a certain type of starch to use when quilting or just regular starch?

ckcowl 02-21-2011 04:49 AM

some people purchase starch they can mix up them selves...i have been using good ole' fashion niagra starch from the laundry isle of the store for about 45 years now...never had a problem with it. it is recommended that you have your quilt top and backing nicely pressed and wrinkle free before making your sandwich.

msawicki64 02-21-2011 05:03 AM

Thanks for the info. I didn't think using regular starch would be an issue but wanted to make sure before I did so.

earlylace 02-21-2011 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I mix my own two, I was buying a can of niagra every week, so I saved the niagra plastic bottle and use it for my own which I like because I can mix it light, med. or heavy starch.

msawicki64 02-21-2011 06:30 AM

How do you make your own???? Thanks

pocoellie 02-21-2011 06:41 AM

Have you tried to iron a small sample of the "clingy" fabric? To me, it doesn't sound like you can iron it, and if you can't, then starch isn't going to help you. For starching, I get the concentrated bottle and mix it 50/50 and put in a spray bottle. I spray the fabrics I'm planning on using and let them "sit and soak" for at least 2 hours, then I either air dry or put in the dryer for a few minutes, then press.

quilter68 02-21-2011 06:46 AM

Sometimes I spray starch on the backside of the fabric and it works out problems without the flakes showing. Iron on the right side of the fabric.

sahm4605 02-21-2011 07:09 AM

you can buy pre-made starch that you can dilute to your hearts content. It is sta-flo and I have only found it at walmart. I do a 50/50 or 75/25 mix. that is starch to water. I like mine oober stiff. I also soak my fabric in the mix and let it dry completely or almost completely before I iron out the fabric.

oatw13 02-21-2011 07:50 AM

I use about 1 tablespoon of corn starch added to about 2 cups of cold water. I mix them and pour into a spray bottle. I don't boil it as I have found that it will still separate if it sits for a long period of time.

I store the leftovers in the fridge. I haven't had any go bad. I just shake it up so it is mixed up again and spray away. :)

msawicki64 02-22-2011 04:50 AM

Yes I did iron it. It's 100% cotton just really thin. It's that kind of fabric that every piece of lint or pet hair or anything clings to but ironing it does get the wringles out and I ironed a portion of it last night with the starch and it does change the fabric from flimsy to more stiff. I'm also ironing the back to since that's the part that will be resting on the batting. Thanks again for your help. And thank God for this board. What a big help to us beginners.