Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   starching flannel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starching-flannel-t259060.html)

evelyn5269 01-01-2015 04:51 PM

starching flannel?

When you quilt with flannel do you starch as you would other fabrics or will it ruin the softness. I am thinking it will keep it from stretching so much but worried that even after that first washing when the quilt is finished it won't be soft anymore. Any thoughts are appreciated.

maryb119 01-01-2015 04:53 PM

I personally don't use starch. I just don't like it. I prewash flannel because it shrinks so much. I have washed a flannel quilt over and over again and it is still soft. Flannel is a great fabric to work with.

CRO 01-01-2015 05:04 PM

I made a flannel quilt that I starched heavily while making it. Threw it in the wash when it was done and it is as soft as if I hadn't starched it.

pocoellie 01-01-2015 05:54 PM

I love starch and also starch flannel or whatever I'm going to be working with.

NJ Quilter 01-01-2015 06:46 PM

So far I've only used flannel for backing. But I did pre wash and starch relatively heavuly as I do most fabrics. Washed after completion and the flannel was soft as butter. It was moda marble flannel for whatever that is worth.

Prism99 01-01-2015 07:39 PM

I have starched flannel heavily before cutting (for a pieced quilt). I had also prewashed it so let it shrink (about the only fabric I ever prewash for shrinkage). Heavy starching made it much easier to cut and piece the pattern accurately. It stopped the flannel from stretching while I worked with it. All of the starch washes out with the first washing, so the flannel returns to its original softness. My starch was a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "painted" onto the yardage with a large wall painting brush. Tossed in the dryer, then ironed with steam.

pennycandy 01-01-2015 08:43 PM

I made three rag rugs for Christmas presents. Prewashed and starched with homemade starch. It was much easier to work with. The pieces were so stiff I could have played cards with them. No problems with softness after washing and drying the quilts.

Sally J 01-02-2015 07:47 AM

Starching flannel makes it much easier to work with. On recent Fons and Porter show they did a flannel quilt and she said she heavily starched the flannel. Interesting she also said that she now starches all fabric before cutting and that all fabric used for the shows has been starched.

tessagin 01-02-2015 08:02 AM

My cutting is so much better since starching. I dilute 1 pt starch to 2pts water and I use a spray bottle. I prewash all fabric because of any bleed and you just don't know who has touched it with their grimy hands. Too much going on and I just don't want to chance. Call me a fanatic. At least I haven't had the flu and different colds like others. I haven't had any of that.

QuiltnLady1 01-02-2015 04:14 PM

I prewash all flannel and I starch it if I am going to piece it. I like it board hard, and I do mix my own starch. I like the idea of using a paint brush Prism99 -- I'll need to try it.