Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starching a quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starching-quilt-top-t294756.html)

MarionsQuilts 02-13-2018 10:05 AM

Starching a quilt top

I've been searching for a solution, but can't seem to find one.

I have a quilt top that is not as flat as I'd like it to be. I'm not taking it apart to fix it, it's too big, and the problem is in the middle. I've never used starch before, and am wondering - can I starch the quilt top and then quilt it?

What happens to the "puckering" in the middle? What are the effects of starching it? I know I have to wash the quilt when I am done, which is fine, as I always wash all of mine.

Just wondering if this could be a solution to my problem?

Thanks!

Homespun 02-13-2018 10:41 AM

I don't know about starching. Quilting will sometime take out some of the puckering. When it is washed it will be all wrinkly, like I like quilts.

gigi712 02-13-2018 11:14 AM

I always starch mine, makes them flatter. Since the pucker is in the middle, be sure and quilt out from the middle and that should straighten it out.

Tartan 02-13-2018 11:25 AM

I think it is Sharon Schamber that has a good YouTube video on using starch and a steam iron to shrink in a block.

Eva Knight 02-13-2018 11:39 AM

I always starch my blocks as I piece them and after I get them all put together. I quilt on my home machine and I think it helps them to quilt better. Also it does help the blocks to lay smooth.

MarionsQuilts 02-13-2018 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8002724)
I think it is Sharon Schamber that has a good YouTube video on using starch and a steam iron to shrink in a block.

Thanks, I'll go watch it now!!!!

Prism99 02-13-2018 03:23 PM

I don't think it will be a problem if you starch. I routinely heavily spray starch both tops and backing before quilting. My sister has given me some pretty wonky tops with excess fabric in many of the pieces. After quilting (I did quilt closely, less than 1" apart, with a simple looping pattern), no one would be able to tell. It also helps to use a cotton batting that shrinks. Once you get that shrinkage, even big mistakes no longer seem to show.

MarionsQuilts 02-13-2018 03:34 PM

ok, I watched, helpful, but what about the fact that it's a quilt top? All the videos I see are about the fabric before you cut LOL

Will it still work?

quiltingshorttimer 02-13-2018 04:09 PM

use some steam in the too big area (just be sure to press not iron!) and see if that helps. With starch is even better cause the starch will "sit the shrink" Good luck!

Geri B 02-14-2018 03:56 AM

Logically hot water will,shrink cotton fibers...did you prewash fabric? If so, it is already shrunken, but maybe a good steam ironing will do a bit more. Do you know what seams are not true 1/4" causing the puckering? Can you just redo those to adjust. Maybe stitches were too tight in that area causing the puckering, again redo changing stitch length or tension....just a few other ideas for you to,think about.